Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Matheo Software Info <in...@matheo-software.com> on 2019/06/21 16:32:02 UTC

Is Solr can do that ?

Dear Solr User,

My question is very simple J I would like to know if Solr can process around
30To of data (Pdf, Text, Word, etc…) ?

What is the best way to index this huge data ? several servers ? several
shards ? other ?

Many thanks for your information,

Cordialement, Best Regards

Bruno Mannina

 <http://www.matheo-software.com> www.matheo-software.com

 <http://www.patent-pulse.com> www.patent-pulse.com

Tél. +33 0 970 738 743

Mob. +33 0 634 421 817

 <https://www.facebook.com/PatentPulse> facebook (1)
<https://twitter.com/matheosoftware> 1425551717
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/matheo-software> 1425551737
<https://www.youtube.com/user/MatheoSoftware> 1425551760

---

RE: Is Solr can do that ?

Posted by Bruno Mannina <bm...@free.fr>.
Hi Toke,

Thanks for sharing this experience, it's very useful for me to have a first overview of what will I need.
If I could resume, I will:
- learn about Tika
- Ask a lot of question like the frequency of add/update solr data
- Number of Users
- CPU/RAM/HDD
- A first test with a representative sample

And of course a good expertise :)

Thanks,
Bruno

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <to...@kb.dk>.

RE: Is Solr can do that ?

Posted by Bruno Mannina <bm...@free.fr>.
Hello Sam,

First, thanks for your answer.

I don't know yet the number of document, I know just that it will be Text, Pdf, Word, Xls, etc...
I will try to get more info about the number of document.

I don't know TIka, I will investigate it.

Thanks,
Bruno

Posted by Bruno Mannina <bm...@free.fr>.
Hello Erick,

Well I do not know TIKA, I will of course study it.

Thanks for the info concerning solrj and Tika.

Bruno

Here’s something to get you started on how and why it’s better to be using Tika rather than shipping the docs to Solr and having ExtractingRequestHandler do it on Solr: https://lucidworks.com/2012/02/14/indexing-with-solrj/

Best,
Erick

Re: Is Solr can do that ?

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
What Sam said.

Re: Is Solr can do that ?

Posted by Samuel Kasimalla <sk...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bruno,

RE: Is Solr can do that ?

Posted by Bruno Mannina <bm...@free.fr>.
Hello Shawn,

Good news that Solr can do that.

I know that with 30Tb of data, hardware will be the first thing to have.
Concerning Expertise, it's the real problem for me.

First I think I will do several tests before seeing how Solr works with
non-xml document (I have only experience with XML documents)

Thanks,
Bruno

On 6/21/2019 10:32 AM, Matheo Software Info wrote:
> My question is very simple JI would like to know if Solr can process
> around 30To of data (Pdf, Text, Word, etc.) ?
>
> What is the best way to index this huge data ? several servers ?
> several shards ? other ?

Sure, Solr can do that.  Whether you have enough resources or expertise
available to accomplish it is an entirely different question.

Handling that much data is likely going to require a LOT of expensive
hardware.  The index will almost certainly need to be sharded.  Knowing
exactly what numbers are involved is impossible with the information
available ... and even with more information, it will most likely require
experimentation with your actual data to find an optimal solution.

https://lucidworks.com/2012/07/23/sizing-hardware-in-the-abstract-why-we-don
t-have-a-definitive-answer/

Thanks,
Shawn