Posted to user@struts.apache.org by bm...@daimlerchrysler.com on 2004/08/20 15:05:10 UTC

Templates to Tiles opinion

I've recently inherited a system in development that was started using
templates instead of tiles.  My question is - is there much effort to
convert from templates to tiles.  Secondly, is it recommended?

I'm in a time crunch as I'm learning Struts as I go and deadlines have to
be met.  I'm not even sure if the templates are being used properly.  I've
made the switch to point to tiles tld but now I'm reconsidering if I should
go further.  The template is below for opinions.

TIA, Bart

The template jsp

<%@ taglib uri='/WEB-INF/struts-tiles.tld' prefix='tiles' %>
<tiles:get name='header'/>
  <tiles:get name='menu'/>
  <tiles:get name='content'/>
<tiles:get name='footer'/>
<%--

The layout jsp

<%@ taglib uri='/WEB-INF/struts-tiles.tld' prefix='template' %>

<template:insert template='pageTemplate.jsp'>
  <template:put name='menu' content='includes/nav_left.jsp'/>
  <template:put name='header' content='includes/header.jsp'/>
  <template:put name='content' content='auditAssignmentContent.jsp'/>
  <template:put name='footer' content='includes/footer.inc'/>
</template:insert>