Posted to users@sling.apache.org by david gonzalez <da...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/02 22:13:00 UTC

New Sling Web site Request: Canonical links on old pages to new pages

Hi all, First off, love the documentation on the new site.

Small request - could canonical links on the old pages pointing to the corresponding new pages?

Google keeps serving me back the old pages, which is driving me nuts!

Thanks!

--
david gonzalez
Sent with Airmail

Re: New Sling Web site Request: Canonical links on old pages to new pages

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hey David,

You might have a look at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-2002 which is about the conversion from Confluence to the Apache CMS. There was a listing of links mentioned by Bertrand in the JIRA.

I haven't run the Sling site through the Apache CMS locally, but I have with OpenOffice and it ought to be possible to script mass change and then submit a patch. I can certainly give you pointers about this CMS.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM, david gonzalez <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I suppose this headine is very confusing then: This is an old version of the
> Sling website, see the site conversion page for more info...

We do actually have a number of pages that are duplicated, with the
old version still being around and the new one still not being checked
with enough confidence to keep only it.

See for example
http://sling.apache.org/site/manipulating-content-the-slingpostservlet-servletspost.html
and
http://sling.apache.org/documentation/bundles/manipulating-content-the-slingpostservlet-servlets-post.html

>... If you're 301ing the old pages eventually then that event better ! ...

We are doing that once we review the new pages and find them good
enough, that's in
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sling/site/trunk/content/site/.htaccess

Details of the process at SLING-2002 as mentioned before.

-Bertrand

-Bertrand

Re: New Sling Web site Request: Canonical links on old pages to new pages

Posted by david gonzalez <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks felix --

I suppose this headine is very confusing then: This is an old version of the Sling website, see the site conversion page for more info

That headline makes it seem like any page with it has dated info, yet its the site Google responds with. Your bulleted fixes a great for me (and others reading the list) but it may still be confusing for others; I would always go to the "new" site expecting it to have the latest/best information, and be less trustworthy of the "old" version.

If you're 301ing the old pages eventually then that event better !

Either way - thanks for the clarifications and convenience links!

--
david gonzalez
Sent with Airmail

On July 3, 2013 at 4:30:01 AM, Felix Meschberger (fmeschbe@adobe.com) wrote:

Hi David

Those pages that still existing under /site have not been fully migrated yet. As such they are still current and up to date.

By "fully migrate" I mean that we edited the automatically migrated page to be completely "nice looking". As part of this edit we generally also remove the old page from under /site and place a redirect ("Redirect Permanent") for the old URL to the new one.

What I have now done is:

* I added a note on the top of all (new) pages which have presumably not been treated yet. This note points to the old page which still contains accurate information.
* At the top of all old pages I also added a link to the new, unedited page for reference.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Felix

Sent with Airmail<http://airmailapp.info/tracking>

Re: New Sling Web site Request: Canonical links on old pages to new pages