Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@firemirror.com> on 2018/03/10 15:29:21 UTC

[VOTE] Migrate to Github as primary repo (a.k.a. Gitbox)

Consider this my +1 (binding) vote for the below proposal. This vote will run for 7 days (until 2018-03-17 15:30+00)

**Proposal**: We switch to using GitHub as our primary repo

We would still use the Apache Jira for issue/release tracking etc.

Benefits:

The contributors will gain write access to github.com/apache/incubator-airflow. This would mean we would be able to:

- merge directly on github.com
- close stale issues
- be able to re-run Travis jobs (I think/hope)

Risks:

Neither of these are likely to be a problem, but the possible downsides are:

- It is still possible to commit to the ASF repo, which if it happens can lead to "split brain" (i.e. different views of master) which will need INFRA team support to fix.

- Contributors will need to agree to Github terms of service. Given this is how PRs are reviewed currently this isn't a problem for any current contributors. Just worth mentioning.

If the vote passes we will need to:

- Update the airflow-pr tool to work directly on github, not ASF repos
- Update any docs that point to ASF repos (http://incubator.apache.org/projects/airflow.html, https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/Committers%27+Guide - there might be more)
- Ensure all committers have access. There is an self-serve process for this (see below)
- Open a ticket with the INFRA queue asking them to migrate the repos. (An example of ticket from another Apache project that did this recently https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15983 )

Contributor set up steps:

- Go to https://id.apache.org/ and ensure you have a github username entered in your profile. This will send an invite to join the Apache org on Github: accept that.
- Go to https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/ and link the accounts

These steps can be done now no matter the outcome of the vote -- we just won't get write access to airflow unless we migrate.

Ash

Re: [VOTE] [RESULT] Migrate to Github as primary repo (a.k.a. Gitbox)

Posted by yongjie zhao <yo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@firemirror.com>.
I have now requested that the Infra team migrate us over to gitbox/github https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16602

Posted by Chris Riccomini <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@firemirror.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Migrate to Github as primary repo (a.k.a. Gitbox)

Posted by George Leslie-Waksman <ge...@cloverhealth.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Shah Altaf <me...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non binding)