Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> on 2007/09/21 15:04:13 UTC

editing wiki docs

Hello,

I recently volunteered to help update some of the struts2 docs. I
started poking around on the wiki and I am a bit nervous about mucking
things up.  I am going to give you my understanding and I would like
for someone to either verify it, or let me
know I am way off. First off, it looks like there are two versions of
the main wiki, one is what is publicly viewable - the main link right
off the struts.apache.org site. If I click edit, it takes me to
another site which appears to be where pages are edited. Will
(approved) changes to the other site make their way over to the main
site during the next release?

Also, I am trying to keep up with the latest trunk from SVN. It
appears that the recent refactoring has broken a few of the wiki pages
since they appear to link to javadocs that have moved. One example is
this page -

http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/tabbedpanel.html

If you follow the links from the main site, the page remains intact.
When looking at the editable wiki, the page is broken. My assumption
is that the editable pages are geared toward the 2.1.x release (when
finished). If my assumption is correct, this means, that the javadoc
snippets can just be updated to point to the new
locations.

What makes me nervous is that if I am wrong, I would update the pages
to point to the new locations and the current set of docs would be
broken.

PS. Once I get going, I'll add some wiki docs so that if anyone ends
up with the same n00b problems as me, they'll have the answers and not
bug the dev@ list.

Thanks!

--
Wesley Wannemacher
President, Head Engineer/Consultant

Re: editing wiki docs

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
I'm not in a great rush to start editing anything, so it would save me the 10
minutes if you guys can deal with a letter. It is probably winging its way
across the Atlantic at the moment. Of course if it's more convenient physically
for you, I'll scan it (I had no idea that Apache had an office!)

BTW you could put email in the document as another option.

Re: editing wiki docs

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: editing wiki docs

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.

Re: editing wiki docs

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 9/23/07, Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:

> Ted Husted on 21/09/07 22:34, wrote:
> > On 9/21/07, Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I recently volunteered to help update some of the struts2 docs. I
> >> started poking around on the wiki and I am a bit nervous about mucking
> >> things up.  I am going to give you my understanding and I would like
> >> for someone to either verify it, or let me
> >> know I am way off. First off, it looks like there are two versions of
> >> the main wiki, one is what is publicly viewable - the main link right
> >> off the struts.apache.org site. If I click edit, it takes me to
> >> another site which appears to be where pages are edited. Will
> >> (approved) changes to the other site make their way over to the main
> >> site during the next release?
> >
> > Yes, but we "approve" the changes after the fact (Commit-Then-Review).
> > Confluence sends out a daily alert so that the PMC can review any
> > changes. Confluence also has a built in version-control system so that
> > we can rollback any changes, if need be.
> >
> > The live wiki documentation is here:
> >
> >  * http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/Home
>
> I would be happy to tweak wiki documentation as well, as I am currently
> going
> over the docs quite alot while picking up S2. However it seems I need more
> permissions because I can only add comments at the moment. Is this
> something you
> only give after a successful period of providing patches?

Please see:

http://struts.apache.org/helping.html#documentation

Depending on how you'd like to help, you may want to file a CLA.

--
Martin Cooper

Regards

Re: editing wiki docs

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.

Re: editing wiki docs

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 9/21/07, Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently volunteered to help update some of the struts2 docs. I
> started poking around on the wiki and I am a bit nervous about mucking
> things up.  I am going to give you my understanding and I would like
> for someone to either verify it, or let me
> know I am way off. First off, it looks like there are two versions of
> the main wiki, one is what is publicly viewable - the main link right
> off the struts.apache.org site. If I click edit, it takes me to
> another site which appears to be where pages are edited. Will
> (approved) changes to the other site make their way over to the main
> site during the next release?

Yes, but we "approve" the changes after the fact (Commit-Then-Review).
Confluence sends out a daily alert so that the PMC can review any
changes. Confluence also has a built in version-control system so that
we can rollback any changes, if need be.

The live wiki documentation is here:

 * http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/Home

This is exported to HTML in real time to here:

 * http://cwiki.apache.org/WW/home.html

And every hour the public draft version is updated here:

 * http://struts.apache.org/2.x/index.html

After a release, we archive the HTML version that was included with
the release, and put it someplace like here:

 * http://struts.apache.org/2.0.9/

-Ted.

> Also, I am trying to keep up with the latest trunk from SVN. It
> appears that the recent refactoring has broken a few of the wiki pages
> since they appear to link to javadocs that have moved. One example is
> this page -
>
> http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/tabbedpanel.html
>
> If you follow the links from the main site, the page remains intact.
> When looking at the editable wiki, the page is broken. My assumption
> is that the editable pages are geared toward the 2.1.x release (when
> finished). If my assumption is correct, this means, that the javadoc
> snippets can just be updated to point to the new
> locations.

That sounds right.

When a change or new feature is introduced, we should try and mention
that within the JavaDoc or Confluence page ("since 2.1.0" or "since
2.0.9").

> What makes me nervous is that if I am wrong, I would update the pages
> to point to the new locations and the current set of docs would be
> broken.

There's only one set. We've never tried to "branch" the documentation,
since many readers will have used the prior version, so we should
always try to contrast what was with what is.

> PS. Once I get going, I'll add some wiki docs so that if anyone ends
> up with the same n00b problems as me, they'll have the answers and not
> bug the dev@ list.

A good place to do that would be here:

 * http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/editing-the-documentation.html

-Ted.

Re: editing wiki docs

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
In the space administration area, there is a link called Snippet
Errors, which lists all errors from snippets not resolving.

Don

Re: editing wiki docs

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Re: editing wiki docs