Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Stefan Gustavson <st...@itn.liu.se> on 1998/05/24 12:46:27 UTC

config/2272: ap_config.h is broken, which makes PHP3 module compilation fail

>Number:         2272
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       ap_config.h is broken, which makes PHP3 module compilation fail
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        1.3b6
>Environment:
Sun Solaris 2.6, gcc-2.7.2.3, bison-1.2.5, flex-2.5.4
(SunOS 5.6 Generic sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-5)

I tried to get PHP3RC4 compiled as an Apache module,
but the file ap_config.h was messed up. It ended
up looking like this:

#ifndef
#define
#endif

That's all there was. I only tried gcc 2.7.2.3 with
bison 1.2.5 and flex 2.5.4, not the Solaris compiler
and yacc/lex, since I don't have them installed, but
the exact same setup procedure worked fine under Linux,
with gcc/bison/flex of the same major revision numbers.

By configuring Apache/PHP3 on a Linux box, looking at
the file ap_config.h and the file ap.h, and guessing
a little, I managed to create an ap_config.h by
hand that seemed to work, but I don't know exactly
what I was doing, and that file was lost, because
each time the configure script is rerun, the file
ap_config.h breaks again. Apache seems not to worry,
but PHP3 actually uses the include file and barfs
when I try to compile it.

I'm not quite sure whether this error is due to
a bug in Apache config, a bug in PHP3 config, or my
own stupidity, but a hint to a solution, or at least
a suggestion regarding what actually goes wrong,
would be much appreciated. Thanks!
>How-To-Repeat:
Try compiling PHP3 as a module under Sparc Solaris 2.6.
It sure didn't work for me, at least not using the APACI
"configure".
>Fix:
I fixed the file ap_config.h by hand. Not a good solution.