Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jimi Thompson <jt...@link.com> on 2000/10/31 01:00:34 UTC

Apache Modules in General

It is me or has anyone noticed a definite LACK of information on how to
modify the httpd.conf for the various modules in order to get them
working??? Why is it that no one has ever posted an actual working copy
of an httpd.conf file for mod_perl in its various incarnations? Could it
be because one doesn't exist?

I have also noticed a large amount of MISSING information regarding
dependencies among the various modules.

I think it's all a hoax and no one else can get the stupid thing to work
either ;)  You know, Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, Working
Mod_perl....

Totally frustrated,

Jimi Thompson
"It's the same thing we do every night, Pinky."

Re: Apache Modules in General

Posted by "Dana C. Chandler III" <dc...@bellatlantic.net>.
There is an excellent book from O'Reilly called "Writing Apache Modules with
Perl and C".  I refer to it often.  There may be a "freer" way but it's
always beneficial to have a good book to refer to when frustrated...

DCCIII

Posted by Vivek Khera <kh...@kciLink.com>.

JT> working??? Why is it that no one has ever posted an actual working copy
JT> of an httpd.conf file for mod_perl in its various incarnations? Could it
JT> be because one doesn't exist?

You haven't looked hard enough.  I've posted complete httpd.conf files
for mod_perl with a backend/frontend configuration at least twice here
on this list.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-301-545-6996
GPG & MIME spoken here            http://www.khera.org/~vivek/

Re: Apache Modules in General

Posted by Eric Strovink <st...@acm.org>.
You need an Apache book (www.oreilly.com), the Guide
(perl.apache.org/guide), and a Valium, not necessarily in that order ;-)

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Jimi Thompson wrote:
> > It is me or has anyone noticed a definite LACK of information on how to
> > modify the httpd.conf for the various modules in order to get them

This List tries to restrict its topics to those directly concerned
with mod_perl - it rambles around at times but that's the main thrust.
So Apache modules in general is kindofa broad remit, but you'll get
some help here if you keep your nerve.  :)

> > Why is it that no one has ever posted an actual working copy
> > of an httpd.conf file for mod_perl

It's perhaps not that there's a lack of information, more maybe that
it's not immediately obvious where the best of it is to be found.

What you say about working configurations isn't true, I've posted some
of my httpd.conf files several times, and others have too.  But they
were posted for particular reasons, they aren't much use on their own
because they are always designed specifically for one installation.

Yours will be different.

Don't let's get hysterical.  I know what you must be going through
because it can be difficult to find your way around in a very complex
environment.  You have a LOT of reading to do (make no mistake, you
have to do it) and the other posts which replied to your message gave
you a good start.  If you need Perl and Apache, don't give up.

Next time you post, try to give the information listed in 'SUPPORT'.

We'll be here.

73,
Ged.

Re: Apache Modules in General

Posted by Matthew Byng-Maddick <mb...@colondot.net>.
On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Jimi Thompson wrote:
> It is me or has anyone noticed a definite LACK of information on how to
> modify the httpd.conf for the various modules in order to get them
> working??? Why is it that no one has ever posted an actual working copy
> of an httpd.conf file for mod_perl in its various incarnations? Could it
> be because one doesn't exist?

erm.... are you sure this is where you wanted to write this? can I suggest
usenet's alt.flame instead?

I have mod_perl working in several incarnations. On several machines. If
you like, I can send you a working config, but I don't know if it would be
useful to you, because it is heavily dependent on how the apache is
configured at build time.

The reason that the httpd.conf exists is that apache is an extremely
flexible web server. One person's httpd.conf might well be entirely
different from someone else's.

> I have also noticed a large amount of MISSING information regarding
> dependencies among the various modules.

mod_so is needed for dynamic loading. Other than that, modules don't tend
to depend on each other. Various configuration directives depend on
modules being loaded (all the logging, for example).

> I think it's all a hoax and no one else can get the stupid thing to work
> either ;)  You know, Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, Working
> Mod_perl....

| [mbm@hard]:~$ telnet www.londontransport.co.uk 80
| Trying 195.92.250.96...
| Connected to www.londontransport.co.uk.
| Escape character is '^]'.
| HEAD / HTTP/1.0
|
| HTTP/1.1 200 OK
| Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 00:07:56 GMT
| Server: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) mod_perl/1.24
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Connection: close
|
| Connection closed by foreign host.

I'd say that was working....

> Totally frustrated,

from my own notes on how to do this...
| cd into your apache build directory
| $ ./configure --with-shared=max
| $ cd ../mod_perl-x.xx
| $ perl Makefile.PL DO_HTTPD=1 EVERYTHING=1 APACHE_HEADER_INSTALL=1 \
|   USE_APACI=1 USE_DSO=0 APACI_ARGS='--enable-shared=rewrite,\
|   --disable-rule=WANTHSREGEX, --enable-module=all, \
|   --enable-module=define, --enable-shared=max, \
|   --disable-shared=perl, \
and if you want suexec for your cgis.
|   --enable-suexec=max, --suexec-caller=nobody, \
|   --suexec-uidmin=500, --suexec-gidmin=500'

Then you do
| $ make
| $ make test
| # make install
| # cd ../apache_x.xx
| # make install

But that's how I do it. and being perl, TIMTOWTDI.

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick   Home: <mb...@colondot.net>  +44 20  8981 8633  (Home)
http://colondot.net/   Work: <ma...@codix.net> +44 7956 613942  (Mobile)