Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Dark Crusader <re...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/08 15:02:26 UTC

Spark streaming receivers

Hi,

I'm having some trouble figuring out how receivers tie into spark
driver-executor structure.
Do all executors have a receiver that is blocked as soon as it
receives some stream data?
Or can multiple streams of data be taken as input into a single executor?

I have stream data coming in at every second coming from 5 different
sources. I want to aggregate data from each of them. Does this mean I need
5 executors or does it have to do with threads on the executor?

I might be mixing in a few concepts here. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Re: Spark streaming receivers

Posted by Russell Spitzer <ru...@gmail.com>.
The direct approach, which is also available through dstreams, and
structured streaming use a different model. Instead of being a push based
streaming solution they instead are pull based. (In general)

On every batch the driver uses the configuration to create a number of
partitions, each is responsible for independently pulling a number of
records. The exact number of records and guarantees around the pull are
source and configuration dependent. Since the system is pull based, there
is no need for a receiver or block management system taking up resources.
Every task/partition contains all the information required to get the data
that it describes.

An example in Kafka, the driver might decide that batch 1 contains all the
records between offset 1 and 100. It checks and sees that there are 10
Kafka partitions. So it ends up making a spark job which contains 10 tasks
each task dedicated to a single Kafka partition. Each task will then
independently ask for 100 records from it's Kafka partition. There will be
no Spark resources used outside of those required for those 10 tasks.

Posted by Dark Crusader <re...@gmail.com>.
Hi Russell,

Posted by Russell Spitzer <ru...@gmail.com>.