Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/10 02:53:02 UTC

[Fwd: Please rate ApacheCon talks]

Hi, Apache committers on the OSGi/Felix/Oscar/Fish list,

I have submitted an abstract for ApacheCon US 2005 on how we are using
OSGi over on the Apache Directory project.  I see a couple talks on
OSGi/Eclipse and a BoF for OSGi.  I would appreciate it if committers
would take a moment to review my abstract and those of the other
OSGi-related talks and vote for the talks if you think they are a good
idea.  I have attached the original email which discusses the voting
site (http://ApacheCon.com/) and process.

My talk:
2005/US SD1503 Apache Directory and the OSGi Service Platform

Enrique

P.S.  I have 2 other talks on Kerberos listed, too.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
I have submitted two talk proposals, if people are interested.

2005/US SD1561 Java Modularity Support in OSGi R4

and

2005/US SD1562 Declarative Services in OSGi R4

-> richard

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Unfortunately, the website does not seem to want to
> show the details of the proposals.

Temporarily broken, but being worked on.

	--- Noel

Re: [Fwd: Please rate ApacheCon talks]

Posted by Jeff McAffer <Je...@ca.ibm.com>.
Yes I took the cue from others on this list and submitted several OSGi
related proposals.  Unfortunately, the website does not seem to want to
show the details of the proposals.  Perhaps because I am not a committer?
In any event, it just reports that the proposal is marked as "pending" and
so cannot be viewed.  In case this is an issue for others, I have included
the proposals below.

Jeff

<note that for the panel time was short and I took the liberty of assuming
various people would be interested in being panelists>
Panel: The Future of Open-Source OSGi
The OSGi (Open Services Gateway initiative) specification includes,
amongst other things, a component model for Java.  The specification has
been around for a number of years and now in its fourth version.  Recently
the need for a modularity mechanism has come to the fore with JSR 277, the
Apache Oscar project, the Eclipse adoption of OSGi, etc. This panel
explores the issues facing open source implementations of OSGi by bringing
together leaders from the various open source projects (e.g., Apache,
Eclipse, Knoplerfish, Oscar) to expose their hopes, dreams and deepest
fears.

OSGi BOF
The OSGi (Open Services Gateway initiative) specification has become much
more visible in the past year. OSGi implementations are shipping in cars,
cell phones, servers, desktop applications and development tools.  In
addition, the interest in open source implementations of OSGi has
skyrocketed.  This BOF is intended to bring together participants who are
interested in contributing to open source implementations of OSGi as well
as those interested in consuming those implementations to talk about
community directions, tools and techniques for programming with OSGi as
well as sharing ideas for reducing "container-isms" by filling gaps in the
specification through conventions.

Eclipse BOF
Eclipse has become one of the most widely used Java development
environments.  Its tooling platform is also the basis for a wide range of
tools that you may use today or not even know about.  Beyond that, Eclipse
is a runtime that includes a wide range of support for rich client
applications and OSGi-based component systems.  This BOF is a chance for
current Eclipse runtime and tooling users and those just curious to see
what its all about to get together with some of the Eclipse development
team to talk about current usecases, missing features, hidden
capabilities, future directions and the development plans for Eclipse 3.2.

Developing OSGi Bundles with Eclipse
Recently several Apache projects (e.g., Oscar, Directory, Cocoon, James,
Geronimo,...) have been either creating, using or investigating OSGi
framework implementations as core elements of their work.  OSGi presents a
strong component model.  This helps people compose systems but places an
added burden on developers and tooling -- managing classpaths, build
orders and the additional metadata required to define bundles can be
tedious and error prone.  As the Eclipse platform is based on an OSGi
runtime, Eclipse plug-ins are in fact OSGi bundles and Eclipse's
sophisticated tooling can be used to write generic OSGi bundles.  This
talk demonstrates how to define, develop, debug, build and deploy OSGi
bundles using Eclipse.

Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>
08/09/2005 08:53 PM
Please respond to