Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> on 2016/07/28 07:13:16 UTC

[DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name

Hi,

The work on Aether import is progressing: as I commented on MNG-6007 recently,
we now have to find a new name for the component at Apache. Then we'll update
poms, documentation and git repo accordingly and we'll be ready to make
releases.

We already have first ideas, found by the PMC while working in private on the
topic:
- Akasha https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akasha
- Maven Artifact Resolver API ("mara" when used as package name or artifactid
or in maven-mara-provider)

Does anybody have another idea?
Is there a preference in the community?

Regards,

Hervé

Re: [DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On 28 July 2016 at 09:35, Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> -1 on Akasha

actually that should be -0.9999 on Akasha... i.e. I am not vetoing the
name, just really don't like it

Re: Model version (was: Re: [DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name)

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
So I think really what you want vis-a-vis artifact resolution is a way to have a new repository system session with new/altered implementations for fixes or new behavior. Possibly a new repository system as well. If the default behavior continues to work, anyone can do whatever radical things they might like to experiment with provided the user knowingly flips the switch to enable the non-default behavior. Currently there is a DefaultRepositorySytemSessionFactory and we might want to allow picking a new one of those so that new managers, selectors, and transformers can be used. Maybe we modify this slightly if we want a new a new collector or resolver. This is orthogonal to the model changes that may or may not be made.

How do we enable this? I think a bunch of CLI switch is cumbersome, so maybe we officially introduce feature toggles in the settings. Useful for us and if teams want to run with certain features it will be easier to share this configuration. If we’re going to employ feature toggles then I think the settings is likely the place to do it. If so I can probably make a prototype in a few hours. From settings session properties can be made that reach most of code from end to end. But this allows branching by abstraction and all behavior can live in master. We can see all the implementations in one place and users won’t have to go build special branches to try things out, it will just be in the standard snapshots and the releases. If the features are off by default it won’t surprise any existing users.

As for shoring up all the behaviour there are still 2-3 places where scopes are mutatate outside the scope of the existing Aether code which makes things fairly confusing. As I’m sure people people look at the final state and wonder how it happened because if they trace through Aether code everyone who does seems it didn’t happen there. That aspect is a mess. This should be consistent for plugins and the application resolution but it currently is not.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Am 28.07.2016 um 19:18 schrieb Jason van Zyl:
> I\u2019m a vehement -1 to changing the artifactIds or structure without a plan.

+1

If something does not need to be renamed, then don't rename it. If
something needs to be renamed, don't choose some kind of trademarkish
name no-one knows what it stands for but something self-describing as
much as possible.

> We have to change the groupId because we cannot deploy into Eclipse\u2019s namespace but for anyone using this code just leave it how it is while making improvements.

+1

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Thursday 28 July 2016, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:

> What the external name is can be whatever people feel is most suitable.
>
> We should jump into IRC, as I think that will be faster, to figure out how
> it should be used.
>
> I’m a vehement -1 to changing the artifactIds or structure without a plan.
> We have to change the groupId because we cannot deploy into Eclipse’s
> namespace but for anyone using this code just leave it how it is while
> making improvements.

> As I understand it, they said that they were OK with giving us a temporary
derogation to use the eclipse namespace as long as we made clear that this
was not precedent setting and we were working in good faith to move off and
the first indication of that good faith would be to change the name (even
if we cannot change the other things just yet)

As such I think we could actually deploy relocation poms in the eclipse
groupId as a migration pathway...

Consider it just moving the body of code from Eclipse because that’s all it

Sent from my phone

Re: [DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
What the external name is can be whatever people feel is most suitable.

We should jump into IRC, as I think that will be faster, to figure out how it should be used.

I’m a vehement -1 to changing the artifactIds or structure without a plan. We have to change the groupId because we cannot deploy into Eclipse’s namespace but for anyone using this code just leave it how it is while making improvements. Consider it just moving the body of code from Eclipse because that’s all it is right now. If we’re going to make changes to the API in a new package space then just delegate to the Aether code, like we are doing in the core right now and maybe even working from the core if possible. Shore up and fix the usage in the core, we have artifact related code all over the place doing duplicate things that we should consolidate too. Swizzling the Aether code around and changing it all is not going to help anything at all. Fixing bugs, great. Making additions that leave the library compatible yet improve it, great. If it works in the core and works in the plugins it will work for everyone else.

The library as it stands functions and people are using it. We have something in Maven core that uses it and it’s pretty terrible but it’s a great place to start trying to flesh out something new because the ITs will catch most things. There is also the questions of what kind of testing harness we need because everyone is sort of looking at how these changes affect the outcome but I think tools that perform deltas on the dirty tree and final list with their scope transformations should be considered before starting to fiddle with any existing Aether code.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2016-07-28 um 18:24 schrieb Christian Schulte:
> Am 07/28/16 um 18:21 schrieb Christian Schulte:
>>>
>>> I think the confusion stems from the fact that there is both Maven (the
>>> tool) and the Maven repository format (the combination of directory
>>> structure, maven-metadata.xml, checksums files, etc.).
>>>
>>> The API we are talking about is for the Maven repository format and not
>>> some other repository format (like p2, NuGet, ...). It may be used by
>>> Maven *and* other tools (like Gradle, sbt, ...). In that sense, it is
>>> *not* specific to the Maven tool, but it is specific to the Maven
>>> repository format. Hence, calling it something with Maven in the name
>>> makes sense to me.
>>
>> +1
>>
>>> FWIW, we (the Eclipse Code Recommenders project) have been using (first
>>> Sonatype, then Eclipse) Aether since ~2010 to download recommendation
>>> models stored in a repository which does follow the Maven repository
>>> format, but which does not store your typical artifacts (JARs with
>>> pom.xml). If that use case is still supported by the new API, I really
>>> don't care how the API is called. ;-)
>>
>> +1
>>
>> It's an abstraction to access Maven(-format) repositories in a
>> consistent way. Project name could be "Maven Repositories" and the
>> artifacts could be
>>
>> maven-repositories-api
>> maven-repositories-impl
>> maven-repositories-utilities
>> etc.
>>
>> No need to add "API" to the project name. It's more than that. In the
>> end, it's just a name. We should avoid what was done in the past and try
>> to use a self-describing name. We had to tell people what "Aether"
>> stands for every now and then. This should be avoided.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> Group-Id: org.apache.maven.shared.repositories
> Artifact-Id: maven-repositories-api, maven-repositories-impl, etc.

I do even think that the 'shared' is not necessary, since this is going
to be a standalone component with several artifacts. It deserves to be
Maven Repositories and MREPOSITORIES in JIRA.

Re: [DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Andreas Sewe <se...@st.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> It\u2019s all Maven specific, it\u2019s always been Maven specific and that\u2019s
> unlikely to change after how many years? Even if it can employ
> different strategies it\u2019s still the Maven Artifact Resolution API. No
> one is going to use this API to resolve from NuGet, NPMJS, PyPi or
> anything else. Let\u2019s just make it better for our specific use cases
> instead of imagining this is going to be a general purpose tool. It
> is clear that this never happened and probably never will.

I think the confusion stems from the fact that there is both Maven (the
tool) and the Maven repository format (the combination of directory
structure, maven-metadata.xml, checksums files, etc.).

The API we are talking about is for the Maven repository format and not
some other repository format (like p2, NuGet, ...). It may be used by
Maven *and* other tools (like Gradle, sbt, ...). In that sense, it is
*not* specific to the Maven tool, but it is specific to the Maven
repository format. Hence, calling it something with Maven in the name
makes sense to me.

FWIW, we (the Eclipse Code Recommenders project) have been using (first
Sonatype, then Eclipse) Aether since ~2010 to download recommendation
models stored in a repository which does follow the Maven repository
format, but which does not store your typical artifacts (JARs with
pom.xml). If that use case is still supported by the new API, I really
don't care how the API is called. ;-)

Best wishes,

Andreas

Re: [DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

> Tycho does not use Aether to resolve p2 artifacts.

I'll shut up then. :-)

/Anders

Posted by Igor Fedorenko <ig...@ifedorenko.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
> On Jul 28, 2016, at 10:07 AM, Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net> wrote:
>
> This might be a language thing. "Maven Artifact Resolver API" makes me
> think this is only for resolving Maven artifacts, but my understanding is
> that p2 artifacts is also supported by Tycho. Am I wrong?

You are wrong. Tycho uses p2 to resolve artifacts.

> Removing "Maven" and just call it Artifact Resolver API (ara) solves this.
> It's the API for resolving artifacts in Maven.
> But, it might just be me interpreting this wrong.

Artifact Resolution API is fine too.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
It’s all Maven specific, it’s always been Maven specific and that’s unlikely to change after how many years? Even if it can employ different strategies it’s still the Maven Artifact Resolution API. No one is going to use this API to resolve from NuGet, NPMJS, PyPi or anything else. Let’s just make it better for our specific use cases instead of imagining this is going to be a general purpose tool. It is clear that this never happened and probably never will. Does it matter?

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Uwe Barthel <ba...@x-reizend.de>.
> everybody ok for:
> - name: "Artifact Resolver"
> - groupId: org.apache.maven.resolver
> - artifactId: resolver(-*)

Why not more formal like:
-name: Maven Artifact Resolver
-groupId: org.apache.maven.[artifact | resolver]
-artifactId: artifact-resolver

-- barthel

Re: [DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
plan implemented in git
https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-aether.git;a=commit;h=27f8bd7360d1114b0e2972a49c01adfbe24da272

resulting documentation will appear soon at
http://maven.apache.org/resolver-archives/resolver-LATEST/

If something is wrong, please tell

Once this first step is ok, I'll finish the work (do other modules, create
JIRA project, rename git repo)

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Igor Fedorenko <ig...@ifedorenko.com>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2016-08-25 um 23:20 schrieb Hervé BOUTEMY:
> ok, we can change groupId
>
> everybody ok for:
> - name: "Artifact Resolver"

Not Maven Artifact Resolver?

> - groupId: org.apache.maven.resolver
> - artifactId: resolver(-*)

Same here maven-resolver-...?

Re: [DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
+1

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
ok, we can change groupId

everybody ok for:
- name: "Artifact Resolver"
- groupId: org.apache.maven.resolver
- artifactId: resolver(-*)

?

or are there any other proposal on these 3 choices?

Regards,

Hervé

Le mercredi 3 août 2016 16:04:36 Jason van Zyl a écrit :
> Using org.apache.maven.resolver instead org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver
> for the package names is more consistent with the other naming in that
> document.
> > On Aug 3, 2016, at 12:30 PM, herve.boutemy@free.fr wrote:
> >
> > true: I know it sounded familiar... :)
> >
> > this artifact seems used by maven-remote-resources-plugin only
> >
> > And if you look at the content, it contains a little helper to resolve
> > dependencies: we should probably deprecate it at the end
> >

> > If there is no objection, I'll update code in a few days to match
> > http://maven.apache.org/aether-archives/aether.html
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé

Posted by he...@free.fr.
if I let apart the confusion with java jars...

it's not a specification: the specification of the repository is in maven-aether-provider dependencies

Regards,

Hervé

"Java Artifact Repository Specification"

JARS

Happenstance.

Re: [DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
These will both confuse people. Mercury is a failed project from the past here and no one will know what the project is from the name Caduceus. Please, let’s use a real word that best represents (yes, maybe not ideal) what the library will do.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
... Mercury....

AW: [DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
AIR could be something Adobe might have a problem with ...

Chris

________________________________
Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@bpm-inspire.com>.
Uwe Barthel wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Eclipse owns the Aether name. We cannot use the name Aether.
>
> And the Eclipse Foundation doesn't like to provide that name to the ASF
> (only the name without the eclipse namespace)?
>
> Aethel means over the AIR.
>
> WDYT about org.Apache.maven.air: _A_rtifact _I_inqui_R_e. Inquire is more
> general than resolve?
>
> -- barthel

Prepend 'M' ... ;-)

Mare

M_aven
A_rtefact
RE_solver

- J�rg

Re: [DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name

Posted by Uwe Barthel <ba...@x-reizend.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Uwe Barthel <ba...@x-reizend.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Am 08/05/16 um 01:21 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 3:24 PM, Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it> wrote:
>
>> Am 08/05/16 um 00:15 schrieb Gary Gregory:
>>> But here you would just tell the manager: "I want to use Maven" as
>> opposed
>>> to "I want to use Ant and Ivy".
>>
>> So lets rename Maven. We need a name sounding cool to management. Just
>> so that we do not need to discuss why we want to use it...something
>> implying less costs (due to speed or whatever).
>>

> But Maven IS a cool name :-) and it means "an expert or connoisseur", what
> could be better! I am serious to boot :-)

Did he just say build monkeys? :-)

Seriously. I never noticed that. Perfect demonstration of how much I do
not care about product names. Glad I've choosen the right build tool for
me not just because of its name. I thought "Maven" really is just a name.

Re: [DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 3:24 PM, Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it> wrote:

> Am 08/05/16 um 00:15 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> > But here you would just tell the manager: "I want to use Maven" as
> opposed
> > to "I want to use Ant and Ivy".
>
> So lets rename Maven. We need a name sounding cool to management. Just
> so that we do not need to discuss why we want to use it...something
> implying less costs (due to speed or whatever).

But Maven IS a cool name :-) and it means "an expert or connoisseur", what
could be better! I am serious to boot :-)

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Am 08/05/16 um 00:15 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> But here you would just tell the manager: "I want to use Maven" as opposed
> to "I want to use Ant and Ivy".

So lets rename Maven. We need a name sounding cool to management. Just
so that we do not need to discuss why we want to use it...something
implying less costs (due to speed or whatever).

Re: [DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name

Posted by he...@free.fr.
yes, in the current case, this is an internal component name we're looking for: end-users will not notice

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
These are all discussions about abstractions we had when talking about Maven 1.x, so let me save you the circuitous route back to the fact that users don’t care about having an abstraction that lets them store artifacts as blobs in any potential systems coming from any potential source. People take artifacts from http servers and save them as files on disk. I think we would be better served evolving to the concrete thing it has actually become. To a Maven user it resolves artifacts, to someone who used Aether they resolved artifacts. What we see it as doesn’t matter, we know it does all sorts of things but apache-diritytree-selector-transformer-transporter-collector-resolver is probably not the best name.

You are thinking about this too much. I’m a user, I resolve artifacts.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
We have this body of code. People in the world use it.  Refactoring
this code to break its existing users, just to avoid an awkward name,
strike me as a poor use of time. My suggestion remains that we pick
some inoffensive descriptive string and use it.

Re: [DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Am 08/04/16 um 18:44 schrieb Paul Benedict:
> In my own experience regarding the difficulty of naming something, it has
> always indicated the codebase is too big and multi-functional.
>
> Thus, there are two paths to take:
> 1) Slap a brand name on it because no descriptive name can succinctly
> capture all the provided functionality
> 2) Break down the code base so you can apply individual descriptive names
>
> So, perhaps a change of perspective could help here....

+1

> Has anyone thought about breaking apart Aether after the import?

It does a lot of different things and it overcomplicates things, in my
opinion. Maybe we should try to find a better interface than
'RepositorySystem'/split that up/review the API/improve the abstractions.

<https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-aether.git;a=blob;f=aether-api/src/main/java/org/eclipse/aether/RepositorySystem.java;h=8706f891afa2d76e1d90c54dc7ce8bb51c930dbd;hb=HEAD>

In my opinion the following methods do not belong there:

'install'
'collectDependencies'
'resolveDependencies'
'newLocalRepositoryManager'
'newSyncContext'
'newResolutionRepositories'
'newDeploymentRepository'

The methods to keep should be implemented differently. For example:

'resolveArtifact': Resolves the path for an artifact. The artifact will
be downloaded to the local repository if necessary.

The whole local repository logic should not be part of that. It's just a
cache to be put in front of it. Has nothing to do with a 'RepositorySystem'.

And then there is lack of features/use cases requested by users. Things
like getting the list of all available artifacts of a given group id.
Missing queries. A lot - if not all - of the methods of that interface
could be replaced by a yet to be implemented query language which can
capture all use-cases in a single place. Finding versions, finding
artifacts, finding paths. All simple queries. Deploy is the only one not
just querying but modifying the repository. That makes it 2 methods. One
for querying the repository. One for modifying the repository. You could
as well throw away Aether - just take what is needed to retain backwards
compatibility and start from scratch with something much more simple.
Leads to something like Maven Artifact Repository Query Language, for
example.

Christian

Re: [DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
In my own experience regarding the difficulty of naming something, it has
always indicated the codebase is too big and multi-functional.

Thus, there are two paths to take:
1) Slap a brand name on it because no descriptive name can succinctly
capture all the provided functionality
2) Break down the code base so you can apply individual descriptive names

So, perhaps a change of perspective could help here....
Has anyone thought about breaking apart Aether after the import?

Cheers,
Paul

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Am 08/04/16 um 18:27 schrieb Robert Scholte:
> It is all about Maven coordinates: groupId + artifactId + version +
> extension ( + classifier)
> This all together results in a URL to a repository. In case of remote
> repositories these work both with M1 and M2 repository layouts (yes, the
> name is confusing...)
> So it is not just about java files/artifacts, any file with a Maven
> coordinate will do.

Is it really Maven coordinates or just coordinates. Let the layout be
the implementation. Like a database. All you want to do is run queries
against an artifact store and modify that.

Christian

Re: [DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.
Because we otherwise end up with really long names and even wrong names for such external facing components.

E.g. we have

Maven Artifact Resolver Ant Plugin

as the new name. It would be a long name ... and it would be wrong too. Since it can also install and deploy build outputs.

Of course we might opt for something else like

Maven Repository Format Support Ant Tasks

Or just cut it all and go for

Maven Ant Tasks

and we are good again.

I guess somebody just decide and move on. Its just a name ;-)

Manfred

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I much prefer MARS, especially if you can come up with corresponding wordplay for VENUS… ;-)

Seriously, the overlap with Java ARchive is bound to be confusing, and might even make people think that the component has something to do with them.

Ralph

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
It's really all about JARs...

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Guys. Just because it fits perfectly the Java universe. "Java Artifact
Repository Specification".

JARS

Christian

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Am 08/03/16 um 23:47 schrieb Michael Osipov:
> I proposed Maven Artifact Universe, but received no response.

Pretty close. In the Java universe we got used to talk about JSRs and
JEPs and things like that. I am all for something along "Maven Artifact
Repository Specification" and corresponding "Reference Implementation".
Or "Artifact Repository Specification". We should really try to produce
something, which could carry a package name like 'javax.*' or even
'java.*'. Everything else is heading into the wrong direction. Just my
personal opinion.

Christian

Re: [DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name

Posted by he...@free.fr.
sorry, I find it somewhat abstract: it does not tell anything about the interactions

Even if I agree that resolver does not tell everything, just the majority and most complex

Regards,

Hervé

(sorry, on holidays with unusual email access: tracking such thread is not easy...)

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
I proposed Maven Artifact Universe, but received no response.

Am 2016-08-03 um 23:32 schrieb Christian Schulte:
> It's just a name - I know. Personally, I disagree with 'resolver'. It's
> so much more. It also abstracts the transfers/transports etc. It is an
> abstraction to manage and access a repository (whatever that may mean)
> of artifacts (whatever that may mean) by employing a special directory
> structure and file naming convention we may want to call "Maven Artifact
> Repository Specification". Please. Do not call it "resolver". That's
> just one tiny part of all of this. Just in case:
>
> +1 for calling it "resolver", although in my opinion that is a really
> misleading name to use.
>

> Am 08/03/16 um 22:48 schrieb Michael Osipov:
>> Am 2016-08-03 um 22:04 schrieb Jason van Zyl:
>>> Using org.apache.maven.resolver instead org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver for the package names is more consistent with the other naming in that document.
>>
>> Maves sense, probably this project should be named
>> maven.a.o/artifact-resolver
>>
>> maven-artifact-resolver.git and org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver
>>
>> It would make it consistent.

the whole functionality of the lib is visible in one interface: RepositorySystem
http://maven.apache.org/aether-archives/aether-LATEST/apidocs/org/eclipse/aether/RepositorySystem.html

in this interface, 6 methods are about resolution + 1 about collection (a special "sort of" resolution) + 1 to read artifact descriptor

you're right, in addition, there is intall and deploy, which are the exact opposite for the artifact

and the 4 "new*" methods are internals

resolution against repositories is the majority of interactions, and what is in general the most complex: just install and deploy would not require such a piece of software

So I completely agree that naming the lib "resolver" is not perfect, but it seems to me the most clear...

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
I like the org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver idea added to "Maven Artifact
Resolver API" description

I prepared a projection based on this idea:
http://maven.apache.org/aether-archives/aether.html

WDYT?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.