Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by André Koppany <ko...@mackoy.de> on 2016/03/05 12:28:57 UTC

Cayenne 4.0 M3 Usable for Production

Dear Cayenne Team,

is Cayenne 4.0 Milestone 3 usable for production?
Are there any points where I should take care of?

Currently we are using cayenne 3.1.

Best regards,
André

Re: Cayenne 4.0 M3 Usable for Production

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 5/03/2016 10:28pm, André Koppany wrote:
> Dear Cayenne Team,
>
> is Cayenne 4.0 Milestone 3 usable for production?
> Are there any points where I should take care of?
>
> Currently we are using cayenne 3.1.

Yes, very much so. I've been running 4.0M2 in production for a very long time both in a tomcat web app and a desktop client/server ROP application. Not a single problem.

4.0M3 is new but I expect it to be used by customers of mine within the next few weeks.

Mostly the "M" milestone designation is not about reliability. It is more to flag that the API might still be in a little bit of flux. When you go from M3 to M4 you might find a few changes you need to deal with. We'll always gracefully deprecate API changes from one major release to another, but within milestone some features will just change.

The only example I can think of between M2 and M3 was a change to the new fluent style object query ordering. Between M3 and M4 will be a change to how you set up ROP. Read the release notes for more information.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis