Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Nigel Daley <nd...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2008/03/10 23:17:24 UTC

add incompatible flag to Jira

Can we add an incompatible checkbox in Jira?  I think this would be
helpful in tracking incompatible changes.

Thoughts?

Nige

Re: add incompatible flag to Jira

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On Mar 18, 2008, at 12:18 PM, stack wrote:

> [...]

That could be arranged.

>>> For release notes, the submitter should fill in release notable
>>> information (if any) for the patch.  An automated process can then
>>> put all the release notes into a file when a release is rolled.
>>> Guidance on what is release notable should be published on wiki.
>>>

> Also sounds good.  Would the release notes file be different from
> CHANGES.txt?

Release notes would be the important/big/incompatible type changes.
It would be supplied by the *submitter* as opposed to the
*committer*.  It's also likely that it would be more verbose than our
current CHANGES.txt.

> How would this file display when I click on 'Browse release notes
> now!' on the releases.html page?

No idea.

Re: add incompatible flag to Jira

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.

St.Ack

RE: add incompatible flag to Jira

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1...

Regards
Mahadev

Posted by Sanjay Radia <sr...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Doug Cutting wrote:
> Nigel Daley wrote:
>> 1. an incompatible checkbox
>
> This really only passes the buck, doesn't it?  The real problem is
> correctly identifying all the incompatible changes.  We already have a
> mechanism, a section in CHANGES.txt, but we don't always manage to
> correctly list all the incompatible changes there.  A checkbox won't
> be any more reliable will it?
>
>> 2. a release note text box
>
> Shouldn't folks just include CHANGES.txt message in the patch?  That's
> what I've always encouraged, but few are ever provided.  Perhaps
> Hudson can bounce patches that don't touch CHANGES.txt?
>
> Both these would make sense if we intend to abandon CHANGES.txt and
> use them instead.  Is that your intent?
>

> Doug

When I worked on the java vm at Sun,  we used to list all interfaces
that have changed or added including internal ones.
Primarily one wants to identify all external interfaces (apis, config
files etc) that have been changed or introduced.
Secondarily one wants to also list changes to key internal interfaces -
this may not break the client but may break
the implementation due to internal dependencies that were overlooked; it
also help raise awareness of changes to the
internal structure.

We had a simple one pager form that was filled out;  what was
interesting was that by just filling out the form
the writer became more aware of the impact of her change and often ended
up doing something different or
catching a problem.
It also helped the reviewer  quickly get a better view of the impact of
the change and hence pay more attention to
certain parts of the patch to be reviewed.
It helped forge a culture and discipline in thinking about changing
system software.
While some  java engineers complained about having to fill out the
"damn ccc form", in the end most  agreed that the process was very useful.

So I suggest a  simple template or form  along the following lines:

External  interfaces:
Have you changed/added/deleted any external facing interfaces including
APIs, CLIs, config files?
    Changes in signatures?
    Changes in semantics?

Internal Interfaces:
...same...

sanjay

Re: add incompatible flag to Jira

Posted by Michael Bieniosek <mi...@powerset.com>.
RPC protocol version changes are important, because they mean that clients and servers have to upgraded at the same time.

-Michael

On 3/18/08 2:14 PM, "Raghu Angadi" <ra...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

I think our current definition of a 'Incompatible Change' is so broad
that it is not useful for a user. I never understood why a protocol
version change should be in that list (I know, technically it is
incompatible).

Also automated release notes can never come close to human generated
release notes, however incomplete the human generated version is.

+1 if this is just a guideline and Hadoop requires a (not very long)
human generated end-user friendly release notes.

Raghu.

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Rick Cox <ri...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> wrote:

>  > 2. a release note text box
>
>  Shouldn't folks just include CHANGES.txt message in the patch?  That's
>  what I've always encouraged, but few are ever provided.  Perhaps Hudson
>  can bounce patches that don't touch CHANGES.txt?

I like this idea, though would be concerned about the ability of
patch(1) to properly apply diffs containing the CHANGES.txt entry ---
it seems like they'd quickly be obsolete just because another patch
has added an entry. Perhaps they could be included a second (non-diff)
attachment?

rick

Re: add incompatible flag to Jira

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Robert Chansler <ch...@yahoo-inc.com>.
More helpful might be a ³requires release note² flag. And perhaps a