Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Alessandro Adamou <ad...@cs.unibo.it> on 2012/01/11 12:58:41 UTC

Re: Identifiers of graphs within spaces

Dear Steve,

thanks for your feedback and sorry for not coming back to you earlier
but I was on vacation until just the other day.

I have committed an update to OntoNet that should address your inquiries:
- addOntology() on spaces and sessions now returns the String that you
can use as a key to identify the ontology in the OntologyProvider (or
the graph in the TcManager if you create a UriRef from it).
- you can export scopes, spaces and sessions as Clerezza objects if
needed - does not give you the OWL-oriented view on the graph but can
save much computing power. I will probably employ it on the REST API
- you can supply the TcProvider to the GraphContentInputSource. If it is
the same as the TcManager singleton instance, we skip copying all the
triples to yet another Graph. Should take considerably less time; on the
other hand it prevents from using this method to *update* graphs. Note
that there are protected binding methods in OntologyInputSource
implementations for triple providers, physical IRIs etc.
- other minor optimizations

It would be great to share a benchmarking method to assess network
scalability. So far I have managed to load a 200MB RDF/XML graph using a
256MB VM without out-of-memory errors.

Also thanks for the post on the IKS blog (I am telling you here because
I don't know if you and Martin are following an IKS mailing list)! I am
working on an adopter-oriented one, and it would be great to include an
overview on the Acuity experience with Stanbol-Fedora - what it does and
what benefit it gets from Stanbol. Would you like to share?
Unfortunately, I have been able to tell only my side of the story so
far, as the link at [1] keeps timing out on me :(

Thanks a lot, keep up the good work!

Alessandro

[1]
fedora-stanbol.acuityunlimited.net:18080/orbeon/stanbol-fedora/data-browser

On 12/30/11 6:08 PM, Stephen Bayliss wrote:
> Hi Alessandro
>
> Thanks very much for your responses.
>
>> Dear Steve,
>>
>> On 12/19/11 6:22 PM, Stephen Bayliss wrote:
>>> Our use-case is thus:
>>>
>>> 1) Create OntologyContentInputSource(stream)
>> Perhaps you're better off with a
>> GraphContentInputSource(InpuStream), so
>> it won't have to go through the burden of converting from
>> OWLOntology to
>> Graph just in order to store it (everything is stored as
>> Clerezza graphs
>> anyhow). Note that OWLOntology exports of scopes, spaces and
>> ontologies
>> within is possible regardless of the input source (although it is THE
>> bottleneck of the current implementation, see my comment to
>> STANBOL-433).
>>
>> I'm now adding the possibility to specify the TcProvider in the
>> GraphContentInputSource constructor. This should also save
>> the burden of
>> copying the triples from the in-memory SimpleGraph to the
>> Graph stored
>> in the TcManager (IF you pass the TcManager singleton as TcProvider).
> Great, we'll take a look at the GraphContentInputSource and the TcProvider
> constructor argument.
>
>>>      - as our content is behind authentication, the stream
>> is provided
>>> by an HTTP client
>>>      - the content has an identifier (URI) assigned by the external
>>> system (independent of the contents of the stream/ontology)
>>> 2) Load OntologyInputSource into the space with
>>> CustomOntologySpace.addOntology(...)

--
M.Sc. Alessandro Adamou

Posted by Alessandro Adamou <ad...@cs.unibo.it>.
On 1/13/12 6:27 PM, Stephen Bayliss wrote:
> Should we be grabbing the TcProvider with an OSGi SCR @Reference
> annotation, or TcManager.getInstance() ?

If you are doing it from within an OSGi service component it is fine to
use a @Reference TcManager (not TcProvider because there can be several
other TcProviders).

Otherwise TcManager.getInstance() should work just the same. @Reto am I
wrong?

Alessandro

--
M.Sc. Alessandro Adamou

Department of Computer Science
Mura Anteo Zamboni 7, 40127 Bologna - Italy

Semantic Technology Laboratory (STLab)
Institute for Cognitive Science and Technology (ISTC)
National Research Council (CNR)
Via Nomentana 56, 00161 Rome - Italy

"As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid, lying morality, and so I am beyond caring."
(Col. Walter E. Kurtz)

Not sent from my iSnobTechDevice

RE: Identifiers of graphs within spaces

Posted by Stephen Bayliss <st...@acuityunlimited.net>.
Hi Alessandro

Thanks very much for this - we're working through the changes.  One quick
question:

> - you can supply the TcProvider to the
> GraphContentInputSource. If it is
> the same as the TcManager singleton instance, we skip copying all the
> triples to yet another Graph. Should take considerably less
> time

Should we be grabbing the TcProvider with an OSGi SCR @Reference annotation,
or TcManager.getInstance() ?

Steve