Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeff Schindler <je...@theprairie.com> on 2007/09/02 17:21:00 UTC

tomcat startup w/ aggressiveheap option

Hello,

I have tomcat 5.5.23 running with Java 1.5.0.11 on Windows Server 2003 SP1.
I had been running tomcat 5.0 w/ Java 1.4.2 with the exact same Java options
(including -XX:+AggressiveHeap) and I never had issues with tomcat starting
up via the Windows service.  Now, if I try to start it up, it fails without
any error in the logs - if I take out the aggressiveheap option, it starts
up fine.  I have to reboot the computer to restart tomcat (I think it
actually starts up fine from the command line, but I'd have to confirm
that - I'd rather use the service, though).  I had another identical
deployment that exhibited this same behavior, but somehow magically fixed
itself after I disabled a couple of other services.  Are there any known
issues like this?

Thanks,
Jeff

RE: tomcat startup w/ aggressiveheap option

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Jeff Schindler [mailto:jeff_schindler@theprairie.com]
> Subject: tomcat startup w/ aggressiveheap option
>
> I think it actually starts up fine from the command line,
> but I'd have to confirm that

Definitely need to confirm that first, before trying the service.

There are some checks made when setting AggressiveHeap; in particular,
there must be at least 256 MB of physical memory on the system.  There
are also constraints on the relationships between calculated heap size
and PermGen, and between calculated heap size and NewGen; do you have
any other heap-related parameters set?  Are you running with a 2 GB or 3
GB process space (boot-time option in some Windows .ini file)?

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.