Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <rm...@shaw.ca> on 2003/11/18 21:33:28 UTC

[users@httpd] 403 Forbidden

here are the list of permissions set on my document directories i also
tried setting them to user www and group www but that did not work
either. Please can someone assist me farther i am stumped my log say
nothing at all when i try to use the page.  One more thing that might
help someone help me this page did work when i had the directories under
/usr/local/www/data but i tried switching back and that does not work
anymore.

v20.computerking.ca > /usr/home #ls -l
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  5 computerking     clients  512 Nov 17 17:18 computerking
drwxr-xr-x  6 highcoup         clients  512 Nov 17 17:19 highcoup
drwxr-xr-x  6 rmvg             wheel    512 Nov 17 16:02 rmvg
drwxr-xr-x  5 sculturaldesign  clients  512 Nov 17 17:19 sculpturaldesign
[Tue Nov 18] 01:10 PM [0]
v20.computerking.ca > /usr/home #cd computerking/
[Tue Nov 18] 01:10 PM [0]
v20.computerking.ca > /usr/home/computerking #ls -l
total 24
-rw-r--r--  1 computerking  clients  296 Nov 17 16:10 .bashrc
-rw-r--r--  1 computerking  clients  771 Nov 17 16:10 .cshrc
-rw-r--r--  1 computerking  clients  255 Nov 17 16:10 .login
-rw-r--r--  1 computerking  clients  165 Nov 17 16:10 .login_conf
-rw-------  1 computerking  clients  371 Nov 17 16:10 .mail_aliases
-rw-r--r--  1 computerking  clients  331 Nov 17 16:10 .mailrc
-rw-r--r--  1 computerking  clients  965 Nov 17 16:10 .profile
-rw-------  1 computerking  clients  276 Nov 17 16:10 .rhosts
-rw-r--r--  1 computerking  clients  852 Nov 17 16:10 .shrc
drwx------  5 computerking  clients  512 Nov 17 16:10 Maildir
drwxr-xr-x  2 computerking  clients  512 Nov 17 16:13 incoming
drwxr-xr-x  4 computerking  clients  512 Nov 17 17:23 www
[Tue Nov 18] 01:11 PM [0]
v20.computerking.ca > /usr/home/computerking #cd www
[Tue Nov 18] 01:11 PM [0]
v20.computerking.ca > /usr/home/computerking/www #ls -l
total 4
drwxr-xr-x  2 computerking  clients  512 Nov 17 17:23 file
drwxr-xr-x  5 computerking  clients  512 Nov 18 01:00 page
v20.computerking.ca > /usr/home/computerking/www/page #ls -l
total 14
drwxr-xr-x  2 computerking  clients   512 Nov 18 01:00 Templates
drwxr-xr-x  8 computerking  clients   512 Nov 18 01:00 ckmain
-rwxr-xr-x  1 computerking  clients  6467 Nov 18 01:00 index.html
drwxr-xr-x  9 computerking  clients   512 Nov 18 01:00 save

OK HERE ARE THE IMPORTANT BITS OF MY APACHE CONF FILE
i think everything is set properly

ServerName www.computerking.ca:80

#
# UseCanonicalName: Determines how Apache constructs self-referencing
# URLs and the SERVER_NAME and SERVER_PORT variables.
# When set "Off", Apache will use the Hostname and Port supplied
# by the client.  When set "On", Apache will use the value of the
# ServerName directive.
#
UseCanonicalName Off

#
# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but
# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.
#
DocumentRoot "/usr/home/computerking/www/page"

#
# Each directory to which Apache has access can be configured with respect
# to which services and features are allowed and/or disabled in that
# directory (and its subdirectories).
#
# First, we configure the "default" to be a very restrictive set of
# features.
#
<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

#

# Note that from this point forward you must specifically allow
# particular features to be enabled - so if something's not working as
# you might expect, make sure that you have specifically enabled it
# below.
#

#
# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
#
<Directory "/usr/home/computerking/www/page">

#
# Possible values for the Options directive are "None", "All",
# or any combination of:
#   Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks SymLinksifOwnerMatch ExecCGI MultiViews
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#
# The Options directive is both complicated and important.  Please see
# http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#options
# for more information.
#
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

#
# AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess files.
# It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords:
#   Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
#
    AllowOverride None

#
#
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all

</Directory>

#
# DirectoryIndex: sets the file that Apache will serve if a directory
# is requested.
#
# The index.html.var file (a type-map) is used to deliver content-
# negotiated documents.  The MultiViews Option can be used for the
# same purpose, but it is much slower.
#
DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var

HERE IS THE VIRTUAL HOSTS PART JUST INCASE HTAT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH
THINGS

# Listen for virtual host requests on all IP addresses
NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
        ServerAdmin tech@computerking.ca
        DocumentRoot /usr/home/highcoup/www/page
        ServerName www.highcoup.ca
        ErrorLog /var/log/highcoup.ca-error_log
        CustomLog /var/log/highcoup.ca-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
        ServerAdmin tech@computerking.ca
        DocumentRoot /usr/home/sculpturaldesign/www/page
        ServerName www.sculpturaldesign.ca
        ErrorLog /var/log/sculpturaldesign.ca-error_log
        CustomLog /var/log/sculpturaldesign.ca-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

Re: [users@httpd] 403 Forbidden

Posted by Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>.
RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:

> here are the list of permissions set on my document directories i also
> tried setting them to user www and group www but that did not work
> either. Please can someone assist me farther i am stumped my log say
> nothing at all when i try to use the page.  One more thing that might
> help someone help me this page did work when i had the directories under
> /usr/local/www/data but i tried switching back and that does not work
> anymore.

Are you sure there's nothing in the error log?  Even on the default log
level there should be an entry for 403 requests.  If you increase the
logging level it should also tell you why the request was forbidden.

As a random guess, it could be that /usr/home lacks the proper
permissions.  IIRC, Apache has to have access to at least the 'x' flag
for every subcomponent in the path.  You might try "chmod o+x /usr
/usr/home".

Brian