Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2013/02/22 21:29:43 UTC

Discuss changing the project bylaws for the PMC Chair voting process

Hi all,

Continuing the graduation discussion (you're going to see plenty of
threads like this as we head down the road), the PPMC had a discussion
around how to best select the name we would recommend to the ASF board
to be our PMC chair.

Currently, our bylaws [1] state that we would use the Single
Transferable Vote method for this selection (see section 2.4.5).  In the
thread on the private list, our mentors have suggested that we may want
to reconsider this position.

I'll admit that we have it in our bylaws, purely because I started with
the Hadoop project's document as a starting point for our own.  I
believe that the Hadoop folks probably have a very good reason for this
approach, but perhaps it's not right for our community.

I'm proposing the following change:

CURRENT:

  2.4.5. If the current chair of the PMC resigns, the PMC votes to
  recommend a new chair using Single Transferable Vote (STV) voting.
  See http://wiki.apache.org/general/BoardVoting for specifics. The
  decision must be ratified by the Apache board.

PROPOSED:

  2.4.5. If the current chair of the PMC resigns, the PMC votes to
  recommend a new chair using a lazy 2/3 majority voting method.
  This vote would be held on the cloudstack-dev mail list, after a
  discussion is held on the cloudstack-private list to nominate a
  candidate for the role. The decision must be ratified by the Apache
  board.

This is the discussion thread to see if people have any opinions.  If we
don't have any big concerns, I'll start a new VOTE thread to change the
bylaws (using the rules in section 3.4.9 of the bylaws themselves).

Thoughts?

-chip

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/apache-cloudstack-project-bylaws.html

Re: Discuss changing the project bylaws for the PMC Chair voting process

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013, at 10:58 AM, Chip Childers wrote:
> And while we're at it, the private discussion brought up the idea of
> re-introducing a rotation (or at least a "term"), which would allow
> for a regular opportunity to recommend a change to the board.  I'm not
> sure that it's required, given the nature of the job...  but does anyone
> have an opinion?

It'd be a good idea to have a term, but not a requirement than a chair
can't serve a second (or third, fourth, eighteenth...) term
consecutively.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

Re: Discuss changing the project bylaws for the PMC Chair voting process

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Mar 2, 2013, at 7:40 AM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 02/03/2013, at 2:44 AM, Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
>

>> OK - I'm going to draft this up and start a vote now.
>
> I don't want to derail the voting process, but would like to clarify this part:
>
> ---
> recommend a new chair through consensus via a lazy 2/3 majority
> voting method.  In the case that consensus is not achieved, the PMC
> will vote for a chair using Single Transferable Vote (STV) voting.
> ---
>
> At first, I thought the first part meant voting on a number of candidates - but reading this thread it seems you meant:
> - take nominations, discussion ensues
> - if there is one name settled vote to confirm the decision to present to the board
> - if there's not a single name, then use STV
>
> Is that right? It may need a bit of clarification on what the first vote is about - but I don't think that should change the vote in progress.

That was the intent, yes.

I'll propose a slight clarification to the wording in the vote thread.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
<ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> >
>> > PROPOSED:
>> >
>> >   2.4.5. If the current chair of the PMC resigns, the PMC votes to
>> >   recommend a new chair using a lazy 2/3 majority voting method.
>> >   This vote would be held on the cloudstack-dev mail list, after a
>> >   discussion is held on the cloudstack-private list to nominate a
>> >   candidate for the role. The decision must be ratified by the Apache
>> >   board.
>> >
>> > This is the discussion thread to see if people have any opinions.  If we
>> > don't have any big concerns, I'll start a new VOTE thread to change the
>> > bylaws (using the rules in section 3.4.9 of the bylaws themselves).
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>> >
>> > -chip
>> >
>> > [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/apache-cloudstack-project-bylaws.html
>>

>> So here are my thoughts:
>> 1. Chair is appointed by the board, generally upon recommendation of the PMC.
>
> True.  Even as a TLP, that remains the case.
>
>> 2. There is a high likelihood that we'll continue to grow and might at
>> some point have contention for the Chair, even if it is friendly.
>> Discussing people (IMO) should not happen in public. There's a reason
>> we already do that for committers in private. Think of some of those
>> conversations that we've already had that simply have no place in
>> private. And I know your proposal calls for discussion in private, and
>> vote in public but here's the thing:
>>
>> The decision is one for the PMC to make.
>> You're effectively 'voting' by nominating someone and pushing them
>> forward - which means the 'vote' will be more of voting theatre than a
>> real vote, and really more of a ratification of the decision made in
>> private.
>
> Yes, Sebastien made that point as well.  I fear I missed the mark with
> the specifics of this proposed change.
>
>> Additionally, only votes by the (P)PMC are binding, and
>> unlike technical discussions, it would be bad form to discuss people
>> in public. So I am personally struggling to see the benefit afforded
>> by 'voting' in public. You can disagree, but if there is dissent it
>> being public would potentially be deleterious to the person it is said
>> about.
>>
>> I can see doing away with STV (or only resorting to it if clear
>> consensus isn't achieved).
>
> I'd like to modify my proposed change, but I think we still have issues
> to discuss with this modification:
>
>  2.4.5. If the current chair of the PMC resigns, the PMC votes to
>  recommend a new chair using a lazy 2/3 majority voting method.
>  This vote would be held on the private mailing list, after a
>  discussion to nominate a candidate for the role. The decision must be
>  ratified by the Apache board.
>
> The problem I see with this new version, goes to the point you
> made about contention: What happens if the discussion doesn't lead to
> a single candidate?  Do we opt for STV as a backup process?  In that case,
> does it even make sense to have that lazy 2/3 majority statement above?

So STV has a lot of good things - but really seems (IMO) best suited
for large groups with multiple candidates, with multiple good choices.

> The issues we have to balance are (1) fairness, (2) being as open as
> possible, (3) respect for privacy for individuals.

STV does a good job of 1 and 3.
Lazy consensus does a decent job of 1 and a good job of 2.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
<ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Continuing the graduation discussion (you're going to see plenty of
> threads like this as we head down the road), the PPMC had a discussion
> around how to best select the name we would recommend to the ASF board
> to be our PMC chair.
>
> Currently, our bylaws [1] state that we would use the Single
> Transferable Vote method for this selection (see section 2.4.5).  In the
> thread on the private list, our mentors have suggested that we may want
> to reconsider this position.
>
> I'll admit that we have it in our bylaws, purely because I started with
> the Hadoop project's document as a starting point for our own.  I
> believe that the Hadoop folks probably have a very good reason for this
> approach, but perhaps it's not right for our community.
>
> I'm proposing the following change:
>
> CURRENT:
>
>   2.4.5. If the current chair of the PMC resigns, the PMC votes to
>   recommend a new chair using Single Transferable Vote (STV) voting.
>   See http://wiki.apache.org/general/BoardVoting for specifics. The
>   decision must be ratified by the Apache board.
>
> PROPOSED:
>
>   2.4.5. If the current chair of the PMC resigns, the PMC votes to
>   recommend a new chair using a lazy 2/3 majority voting method.
>   This vote would be held on the cloudstack-dev mail list, after a
>   discussion is held on the cloudstack-private list to nominate a
>   candidate for the role. The decision must be ratified by the Apache
>   board.
>
> This is the discussion thread to see if people have any opinions.  If we
> don't have any big concerns, I'll start a new VOTE thread to change the
> bylaws (using the rules in section 3.4.9 of the bylaws themselves).
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -chip
>
> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/apache-cloudstack-project-bylaws.html

So here are my thoughts:

1. Chair is appointed by the board, generally upon recommendation of the PMC.
2. There is a high likelihood that we'll continue to grow and might at
some point have contention for the Chair, even if it is friendly.
Discussing people (IMO) should not happen in public. There's a reason
we already do that for committers in private. Think of some of those
conversations that we've already had that simply have no place in
private. And I know your proposal calls for discussion in private, and
vote in public but here's the thing:

The decision is one for the PMC to make.
You're effectively 'voting' by nominating someone and pushing them
forward - which means the 'vote' will be more of voting theatre than a
real vote, and really more of a ratification of the decision made in
private. Additionally, only votes by the (P)PMC are binding, and

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 09:39:14PM +0100, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:
> The PMC would only put one candidate forward ?
> This would make the vote on the dev list more of a ratification than a vote.
>
> Should the PMC put multiple candidates forward ?

Open to suggestions on this, but I was assuming the normal process of
keeping discussion of individuals private.

Perhaps it doesn't work in this case?

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Re: Discuss changing the project bylaws for the PMC Chair voting process

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 09:39:14PM +0100, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2013, at 9:29 PM, Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Continuing the graduation discussion (you're going to see plenty of
> > threads like this as we head down the road), the PPMC had a discussion
> > around how to best select the name we would recommend to the ASF board
> > to be our PMC chair.
> >
> > Currently, our bylaws [1] state that we would use the Single
> > Transferable Vote method for this selection (see section 2.4.5).  In the
> > thread on the private list, our mentors have suggested that we may want
> > to reconsider this position.
> >
> > I'll admit that we have it in our bylaws, purely because I started with
> > the Hadoop project's document as a starting point for our own.  I
> > believe that the Hadoop folks probably have a very good reason for this
> > approach, but perhaps it's not right for our community.
> >
> > I'm proposing the following change:
> >
> > CURRENT:
> >
> >  2.4.5. If the current chair of the PMC resigns, the PMC votes to
> >  recommend a new chair using Single Transferable Vote (STV) voting.
> >  See http://wiki.apache.org/general/BoardVoting for specifics. The
> >  decision must be ratified by the Apache board.
> >
> > PROPOSED:
> >
> >  2.4.5. If the current chair of the PMC resigns, the PMC votes to
> >  recommend a new chair using a lazy 2/3 majority voting method.
> >  This vote would be held on the cloudstack-dev mail list, after a
> >  discussion is held on the cloudstack-private list to nominate a
> >  candidate for the role. The decision must be ratified by the Apache
> >  board.
> >

> The PMC would only put one candidate forward ?
> This would make the vote on the dev list more of a ratification than a vote.

I guess it does that, yes.  I was attempting to straddle open vs.
respect for privacy when discussing individuals.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.