Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2018/06/11 20:23:25 UTC

Migration from SVN to Git in progress

Hello all

The git repository has been created [1], so the SVN repository should be
considered read-only now. We still have to do the history cleanup as
proposed in [2], then the new Git URL will be available for push operations.

    Martin

[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/60324c4f631fee3add288988f5813a81725ab7145541cd0c946e1204@%3Cdev.sis.apache.org%3E

Re: git push --force applied, next step proposal

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>.
Oh, sorry, actually said that it relates to snapshots, meaning that developers would recognize that as the latest too. Not that it could confuse developers.

Either way is OK for me (and all in all, every alternative we had here sounds better than JDK8 :). Up to you.

Looking forward to working with SIS code base in git!

Thanks again for taking care of this Martin!
Bruno

________________________________
Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>.

Le 15/06/2018 à 09:20, Bruno P. Kinoshita a écrit :

> So I think the development branch, which was JDK8 before, could also
> be called geoapi-compatibility, or geoapi-latest.

"geoapi-latest" is a nice idea. Or maybe "geoapi-snapshot" for avoiding
confusion with "latest release"?

> I think in the future if others ask about it, maybe just adding a note about it in the Developer Guide, or somewhere else in the site documentation, would be enough.
http://sis.apache.org/branches.html tries to explain that, but I agree
that this is confusing. I will edit those pages after the branches
rearrangement.

    Martin

Re: git push --force applied, next step proposal

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>.
Hi Martin,

So I think the development branch, which was JDK8 before, could also be called geoapi-compatibility, or geoapi-latest.

I think in the future if others ask about it, maybe just adding a note about it in the Developer Guide, or somewhere else in the site documentation, would be enough.

Thanks for clarifying!

Bruno

________________________________
Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello Bruno

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>.
+1 to all

Minor nit-pick, what's the rationale behind master & development?

Couldn't we assume the latest tag contains the release most stable API? And anything after that, regardless of which branch, is development and there's no guarantee about stability?

And +1 for renaming from JDK8.  development is thousand times better than JDK.

Cheers
Bruno

________________________________
Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Le 19/06/2018 à 22:22, Bruno P. Kinoshita a écrit :

> And as I'm still learning by readind docs and code, will report/update
> docs that need to be updated.

Thanks! Speaking about reading documentation, there is two sources that
I found valuable:

For the model behind following packages:

  * org.opengis.metadata
  * org.apache.sis.metadata.iso

I recommend the NOAA wiki:

    https://geo-ide.noaa.gov/wiki/index.php?title=Category:ISO_19115

I found it useful because the ISO standard just gives a succinct
description of each element. It is sometime hard to guess how we are
supposed to use them. The NOAA wiki explains in more details: the
purpose, best practice, etc.

For the model behind following packages:

  * org.opengis.referencing
  * org.apache.sis.referencing

I recommend OGC topic 2, "Spatial referencing by coordinates", in
particular annex B, "Context for modelling of spatial referencing by
coordinates" and annex C, "Geodetic concepts":

    http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=39049

Those two annexes help to understand why Coordinate Reference System
classes are designed that way, why apparently simple solutions like
using WGS 84 as a universal pivot does not work, etc.

    Regards,

        Martin

Re: Proposed development branch: geoapi-4.0

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Le 20/06/2018 à 15:18, Bruno P. Kinoshita a écrit :

> (…) having the tags in SVN only, as well as the new tags in git is OK
> for me.

I rebased the last 3 tags (0.6, 0.7, 0.8). Rebasing older tags would
have been more work, so I deleted them and would rather put a note
somewhere referring to SVN history. Anyway, I'm tempted to delete all
"pre-migration" tags after 1.0 release since I'm not 100% sure that they
are correct (only the SVN tags are sure).

Removing old references has apparently reduced git repository size by
about 20% compared to the size before this pruning effort.

    Martin

Re: Proposed development branch: geoapi-4.0

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>.
As I am learning Apache SIS for a project, and not really interested about older releases (maybe the current stable only?), having the tags in SVN only, as well as the new tags in git is OK for me.

Not sure about other users, but if developer/contributor bandwidth is restricted, perhaps just leave a note somewhere in the project docs pointing to the SVN tags, and/or put a ticket in JIRA maybe for some day?
CheersBruno

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <ki...@apache.org>.
+1 to geoapi-4.0
And I'm OK wih the removal of other branches. My real interest is on the development version, and tags only.

And as I'm still learning by readind docs and code, will report/update docs that need to be updated.
Thanks!Bruno

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 at 5:07, Martin Desruisseaux<ma...@geomatys.com> wrote:   Hello all

Following on the discussion about what could be the name of the
development branch (formerly "JDK8"), I propose "geoapi-4.0", for
consistency with another branch named "geoapi-3.1". More details on
those two branches are given there:

    http://sis.staging.apache.org/branches.html

I'm tempted to delete the other branches since they are stalled and
should not be used for more development (in part because of the Git
history rewrite, but also because SIS has evolved since the last commit
on those branches). Those branches are still available on Subversion; if
their development restart, we would probably have to port the code to
latest commit on the development branch anyway.

Is there any comment or thing that we should change? I think that master
history can not be changed anymore, but for everything else it is still
time to change before the development resumes that normal speed.

    Martin

Proposed development branch: geoapi-4.0

Re: Migration from SVN to Git in progress

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello all

The following files has been removed from Git repository:

  * California_Restaurants.csv
  * DEPARTEMENT.SHP
  * ANC90Ply_4326.shp
  * build-impl.xml~ (a backup file)

As announced, this caused a rewrite of git history. The next few days I
will do more checks for verifying that everything is okay and post a new
email when the repository can be considered stable.

Thanks

    Martin