Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com> on 2005/12/15 05:46:25 UTC

RSDServlet and SpringMVC (was Re: Patch submitted for RSD, RSS, etc.)

Hi,

I'm creating a new thread for this because it is a bit of a tangent...
I'd like to get RSD added in the easiest agreed-upon way and am willing
to help as needed.  That said, I've got "Spring Fever" these days, so I
can't help but propose the following...

Allen Gilliland wrote:

> I think the RSDServlet is a good place to start to break this habit by
> being very lightweight and only hitting the db for things it really
> needs, and also by creating it's own velocity context populated with
> only the items it needs.

I think  your point about making things modular and lightweight is a
good one (but I really don't know the current code.)

After using SpringMVC, adding more servlets into web.xml isn't my first
choice.  It would be nice to have some kind of framework where you could
move functions around to different URL configurations more easily than
using web.xml.  I know this can be done with Struts, but don't know the
details.

I think SpringMVC controllers with Velocity Views could be a good way to
do this, but don't know if people would want to introduce SpringMVC as
yet another MVC framework inside Roller.  I do have experience with
using SpringMVC to put new functionality into webapps built with other
frameworks and it is fairly lightweight.

SpringMVC could also be a good way to create prettier permalinks and
perhaps to better support having a blog on a virtual host.  (by creating
a HandlerMapping...)

It would be nice if blogs could be accessed like this:

virtualhost.com/page/2005/12/12/armchair-developer.html
or
roller.mainhost.com/weblog-handle/page/2005/12/12/armchair-developer.html

Rather than the current mechanism where it is page/weblog-handle.

Regards,

Sean