Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Paul Taylor <pa...@fastmail.fm> on 2011/06/06 17:46:28 UTC

Possible Bug when add wildcard to search following an exclamation mark

If I do a search which consists of escaped ending exclamation marks it
all works okay:
(aaaaahhh\!\!\!)

and find the desired match

but if there is a wildcard at the end, it will not find any matches
(aaaaahhh\!\!\!*)

I cant see Im doing anything in my code that would affect this, is this
a bug in lucene ?

thanks Paul

Re: Possible Bug when add wildcard to search following an exclamation mark

Posted by Paul Taylor <pa...@fastmail.fm>.
On 07/06/2011 10:16, Robert Muir wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Paul Taylor<pa...@fastmail.fm>  wrote:
>> If I do a search which consists of escaped ending exclamation marks it all
>> works okay:
>> (aaaaahhh\!\!\!)
>>
>> and find the desired match
>>
>> but if there is a wildcard at the end, it will not find any matches
>> (aaaaahhh\!\!\!*)
>>
>> I cant see Im doing anything in my code that would affect this, is this a
>> bug in lucene ?
>>
> wildcards don't support escaped characters, but will in 4.0

Quite a lot said in that issue, it seems to be concentrating on escaping
wildcards chars (?, *), whereas I'm escaping an !, as part of a wildcard
query. But I'll assume this issue covers that

Thanks alot Paul

Re: Possible Bug when add wildcard to search following an exclamation mark

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.
What analyzer are you using?  Same at indexing and search time? What
version of lucene?  What does Luke show as being indexed?

--
Ian.