Posted to general@db.apache.org by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com> on 2006/08/02 07:10:40 UTC

Does the "who we are" page need to be updated?

It seems like the page http://db.apache.org/whoweare.html
might be somewhat out of date at this point. Can somebody
suggest a point of contact for updating the page?

thanks,

bryan

P.S. I'm not certain that I'm subscribed to this list, so if
you reply, please blind-copy-me to be sure I'll see the answer.

Re: Does the "who we are" page need to be updated?

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>.
>  I didn't really understand why it was downloading all these files

OK, so I decided to be brave and just let it run, and it must have
downloaded most of the things the first time, because this time it
said:

[INFO] Setting property: classpath.resource.loader.class => 'org.codehaus.plexus.velocity.ContextClassLoaderResourceLoader'.
[INFO] Setting property: velocimacro.messages.on => 'false'.
[INFO] Setting property: resource.loader => 'classpath'.
[INFO] Setting property: resource.manager.logwhenfound => 'false'.
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Cannot execute mojo: site. It requires a project with an existing pom.xml, but the build is not using one.
[INFO] Total time: 3 minutes 13 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Fri Aug 18 08:42:52 PDT 2006
[INFO] Final Memory: 6M/12M

What does this mean?

thanks,

bryan

Re: Does the "who we are" page need to be updated?

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.
Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com> writes:

>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/site/README.txt
>>
>> which hopefully answers most of your questions. If not, feel free to ask. :-)
>>
>>     Best regards
>>         Henning
>
> Hi Henning, thanks very much for the help.
>
> I've finally found time to work on this, and am making some good progress.
>
> I've checked out the db/site module from subversion and I believe I've
> updated the right files (project.xml and projects/derby/project.xml)
>
> I've installed maven 2.0.4 and now I'm trying to figure out how to use it.

Hi Bryan,

I have never used maven before, but I installed maven 1.0.2 and ran
"maven site". It started downloading lots of files with me too, but it
finished rather quickly (1 minute and 9 seconds) with BUILD
SUCCESSFUL. I found the generated web pages under target/docs.

Andrew mentioned that we should use maven 1.0.X, so maybe downgrading
would help?

--
Knut Anders

Re: Does the "who we are" page need to be updated?

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Uh, you need maven 1.0 for this. Sorry if I didn't say that in the first
place.

	Best regards
		Henning

On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 08:36 -0700, Bryan Pendleton wrote:
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/site/README.txt
> >
> > which hopefully answers most of your questions. If not, feel free to ask. :-)
> >
> >     Best regards
> >         Henning
>
> Hi Henning, thanks very much for the help.
>
> I've finally found time to work on this, and am making some good progress.
>
> I've checked out the db/site module from subversion and I believe I've
> updated the right files (project.xml and projects/derby/project.xml)
>
> I've installed maven 2.0.4 and now I'm trying to figure out how to use it.
>
> The first thing I tried was 'mvn --version', which seems to work fine.
>
> Then I tried just running 'mvn' and it said
>
>     [INFO] You must specify at least one goal. Try 'install'
>
> Then I tried running 'mvn site', which was just a guess. It said:
>
>     [INFO] Building Maven Default Project
>     [INFO]    task-segment: [site]
>
> which seems pretty good, but then it started downloading an apparently
> infinite number of files off the internet. There was line after line like:
>
>     Downloading:    http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/scm/maven-scm-provider-starteam
>           /1.0-beta-3/maven-scm-provider-starteam-1.0-beta-3.jar
>     50K downloaded
>     Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/regexp/regexp/1.3/regexp-1.3.jar
>     24K downloaded
>
> I got alarmed after it appeared to have downloaded close to a hundred different
> things because I didn't really understand why it was downloading all these files
> and had I maybe installed it wrong? So I interrupted it.
>
> Sorry for being such a clueless newbie, but can you tell from the above whether
> I've got maven installed properly or not?
>
> thanks,
>
> bryan

      RedHat Certified Engineer -- Jakarta Turbine Development
   Linux, Java, perl, Solaris -- Consulting, Training, Engineering

Social behaviour: Bavarians can be extremely egalitarian and folksy.
                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria
Most Franconians do not like to be called Bavarians.
                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconia

Re: Does the "who we are" page need to be updated?

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
> Please look at
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/site/README.txt
>
> which hopefully answers most of your questions. If not, feel free to
> ask. :-)

And just a little bit more info, which I promised to add but forgot, is at

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-general/200509.mbox/%3c4320774A.3000401@bristowhill.com%3e
http://tinyurl.com/meomr

 -jean

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Please look at

Re: Re: Does the "who we are" page need to be updated?

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 8/1/06, David Van Couvering <Da...@sun.com> wrote:
> Hi, Bryan.  You actually need to change this page yourself, as a
> committer.  I did it a long time ago and can't remember the magic
> incantations, but I suspect Jean or Andrew can give you guidance.

The DB project web pages are maven-generated. As I understand it, you
need to set up maven (1.0.x), extract the source from
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/site/ into a local directory, edit
the bits that need editing, and run 'maven site:deploy' in that
directory.

I was going to do it a couple of months ago, but I can't get maven to
cooperate with my machine. I'm sure it's user error in some regard,
but I'm not a regular maven user, and I haven't had time to track the
problem down.

> Is this information available on a web page somewhere, maybe in our Wiki?

It would be great if there were a wiki page on how to deploy the main
db site for non-maven users.

andrew

Re: Does the "who we are" page need to be updated?

Posted by David Van Couvering <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Hi, Bryan.  You actually need to change this page yourself, as a
committer.  I did it a long time ago and can't remember the magic
incantations, but I suspect Jean or Andrew can give you guidance.

Is this information available on a web page somewhere, maybe in our Wiki?

David