Posted to dev@madlib.apache.org by Satoshi Nagayasu <sn...@uptime.jp> on 2017/02/16 03:27:33 UTC

[VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Hello MADlib community,

We have created a MADlib 1.10 RC-1, with the artifacts below up for a vote.

This will be the 4th release for Apache MADlib (incubating).

The main goals of this release are:
* new modules (single source shortest path for graph analytics, encode
categorical variables, K-nearest neighbors)
* improvements to existing modules (add grouping support to elastic
net and PCA, add cross validation to elastic net, array input for
K-means, verbose output option for DT and RF, limit itemset size in
association rules, various madpack installer improvements)
* platform updates (PostgreSQL 9.6)
* bug fixes
* doc improvements

For more information including release notes, please see:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MADLIB/MADlib+1.10

*** Please download, review and vote by Sat Feb 18, 2017 @ 6pm PST ***

We're voting upon the source (tag):  rc/1.10.0-rc1
https://github.com/apache/incubator-madlib/tree/rc/1.10.0-rc1

Source Files:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/madlib/1.10.0-incubating-rc1/

Commit to be voted upon:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-madlib/commit/ea17530bfe22a1fde173d7fa83508cbcd9924c20

KEYS file containing PGP Keys we use to sign the release:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/madlib/KEYS

To help in tallying the vote, can PMC members please be sure to
indicate "(binding)" with their vote.

[ ] +1  approve
[ ] +0  no opinion
[ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)

--
Satoshi Nagayasu <sn...@uptime.jp>

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 7:27 PM, Satoshi Nagayasu <sn...@uptime.jp> wrote:
> Hello MADlib community,
>
> We have created a MADlib 1.10 RC-1, with the artifacts below up for a vote.
>
> This will be the 4th release for Apache MADlib (incubating).
>
> The main goals of this release are:
> * new modules (single source shortest path for graph analytics, encode
> categorical variables, K-nearest neighbors)
> * improvements to existing modules (add grouping support to elastic
> net and PCA, add cross validation to elastic net, array input for
> K-means, verbose output option for DT and RF, limit itemset size in
> association rules, various madpack installer improvements)
> * platform updates (PostgreSQL 9.6)
> * bug fixes
> * doc improvements
>
> For more information including release notes, please see:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MADLIB/MADlib+1.10
>
> *** Please download, review and vote by Sat Feb 18, 2017 @ 6pm PST ***
>
> We're voting upon the source (tag):  rc/1.10.0-rc1
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-madlib/tree/rc/1.10.0-rc1
>
> Source Files:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/madlib/1.10.0-incubating-rc1/
>
> Commit to be voted upon:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-madlib/commit/ea17530bfe22a1fde173d7fa83508cbcd9924c20
>
> KEYS file containing PGP Keys we use to sign the release:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/madlib/KEYS
>
> To help in tallying the vote, can PMC members please be sure to
> indicate "(binding)" with their vote.
>
> [ ] +1  approve
> [ ] +0  no opinion
> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
>
> --
> Satoshi Nagayasu <sn...@uptime.jp>

I'm afraid, I'll have to be -1

It seems that the following files were not a straight rename:

src/ports/postgres/modules/utilities/data_preparation.py_in  ->
src/ports/postgres/modules/utilities/create_indicators.py_in
src/ports/postgres/modules/utilities/data_preparation.sql_in  ->
src/ports/postgres/modules/utilities/create_indicators.sql_in

but in fact were modified quite a bit. As such we should really treat those
as new work that is now licensed under the ALv2 and requires ALv2
license header.

I know this dual situation with BSD/ALv2 is not ideal and I'm trying to
resolve it for us once and for all so we don't have to worry about things
like this one:

Since we'll have to do a re-spin, I'd like to also suggest that we take
care of the nits in Ed's feedback.

Hope this is OK with Satoshi.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by ChenLiang Wang <hi...@msn.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Daisy Zhe Wang <da...@ufl.edu>.
+1

Daisy Zhe Wang

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by "FENG, Xixuan (Aaron)" <xi...@gmail.com>.
+1

- Aaron

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by "FENG, Xixuan (Aaron)" <xi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Nandish Jayaram <nj...@pivotal.io>.
+1

NJ

Sent from my iPhone

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>.
To finish this thread, I captured all of these licensing issues on the
MADlib wiki at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MADLIB/ASF+Licensing+Guidance
should anyone need to refer to it.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Rahul Iyer <ra...@gmail.com>.
I have attached two files:

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Rahul Iyer <ra...@gmail.com>.
I have attached two files:

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>.
Roman,

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>.
Roman,

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Ed Espino <es...@apache.org>.
Orhan,

   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HAWQ/Release+Process%3A+Step+by+step+guide#ReleaseProcess:Stepbystepguide-CreatetheReleaseCandidate>

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Ed Espino <es...@apache.org>.
OK (Orhan Kislal),

Thanks for the info (Apache ID signature preferred). That will come in
handy for one of our future Apache HAWQ incubating releases.

Cheers,

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Nandish Jayaram <nj...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Ed Espino <es...@apache.org>.
Orhan,

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Ed Espino <es...@apache.org>.
OK (Orhan Kislal),

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Orhan Kislal <ok...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Ed,

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Satoshi Nagayasu <sn...@uptime.jp>.

> A few MADlib v1.10-rc1 observations from a HAWQ incubator committer.
>
>    - The Copyright year (2016) in the NOTICE file needs to be updated to
>    2017. I believe this can be handled in next release.

I have created a pull request to fix this.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-madlib/pull/104

>    - As it still applies, similar to a past comment by Roman ([VOTE] MADlib
>    v1.9.1-rc2
>    <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/981b4c24eaa2ab069b8e18f7aa4bddc7a78d3a9dc26bf659af94fcfe@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E>)

Here is the checklist from the previous release process:

>   * imported keys from the provided KEYS file
>   * checksums and signatures
>   * the release archive is identical to the content of the tag
>   * DICLAIMER, LICENSE and NOTICE are all as they should be

Hope these would go well. :D

>   * ran RAT check (via mvn verify) and made sure that the license
>     headers in files get properly recognized and the excluded BSD
>     licensed files are correctly excluded
>   * all brand new files in this release have ALv2 headers

Yes, you all can check the RAT result here (see rat.txt):
http://161.202.86.165/build/incubator-madlib/

> Minor nits that I stills strongly suggest you address in future release:
>   * name of the top level folder in the archive is weird. The usual practice
>     is to call the top level folder as <project name>-<version ID>

I would like to fix this as following.

>    - *"* name of the top level folder in the archive is weird. The usual
>    practice is to call the top level folder as <project name>-<version ID>*"*
>     (example: *apache-madlib-src-1.10-incubating* instead of
>    *incubator-madlib*)

I would like to suggest the name of the top directory "incubator-madlib-1.10.0".

My artifacts for testing purpose are available here:
http://161.202.86.165/build/incubator-madlib/

These artifacts are generated automatically in every 3 hours with running
install-check (against PG 9.6) and Apace RAT.

>    - I'm more curious than anything. Why did Orhan sign the release? I was
>    expecting the release manager (Satoshi Nagayasu) to have signed the release.

Right, I need Orhan's help as he mentioned in another reply.

>    - Checksums and PGP signature are good.
>    -  ASF headers check: I spot checked files added (git whatchanged
>    --diff-filter=A) since the last release. ASF headers look good.  Nice Job!

Hope these could be ok. :D

Satoshi Nagayasu <sn...@uptime.jp>

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Satoshi Nagayasu <sn...@uptime.jp>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Orhan Kislal <ok...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Ed,

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Ed Espino <es...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Ed Espino <es...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Orhan Kislal <ok...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Orhan Kislal

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Orhan Kislal <ok...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Joe Hellerstein <he...@berkeley.edu>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1

Posted by Marshall Presser <mp...@pivotal.io>.
+1

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>
wrote:

> +1
>
> Frank McQuillan
>
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 7:27 PM, Satoshi Nagayasu <sn...@uptime.jp> wrote:
>
>> Hello MADlib community,
>>
>> We have created a MADlib 1.10 RC-1, with the artifacts below up for a
>> vote.
>>
>> This will be the 4th release for Apache MADlib (incubating).
>>
>> The main goals of this release are:
>> * new modules (single source shortest path for graph analytics, encode
>> categorical variables, K-nearest neighbors)
>> * improvements to existing modules (add grouping support to elastic
>> net and PCA, add cross validation to elastic net, array input for
>> K-means, verbose output option for DT and RF, limit itemset size in
>> association rules, various madpack installer improvements)
>> * platform updates (PostgreSQL 9.6)
>> * bug fixes
>> * doc improvements
>>
>> For more information including release notes, please see:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MADLIB/MADlib+1.10
>>
>> *** Please download, review and vote by Sat Feb 18, 2017 @ 6pm PST ***
>>
>> We're voting upon the source (tag):  rc/1.10.0-rc1
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-madlib/tree/rc/1.10.0-rc1
>>
>> Source Files:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/madlib/1.10
>> .0-incubating-rc1/
>>
>> Commit to be voted upon:
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-madlib/commit/ea17530bfe
>> 22a1fde173d7fa83508cbcd9924c20
>>
>> KEYS file containing PGP Keys we use to sign the release:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/madlib/KEYS
>>
>> To help in tallying the vote, can PMC members please be sure to
>> indicate "(binding)" with their vote.
>>
>> [ ] +1  approve
>> [ ] +0  no opinion
>> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)