Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Yori Lavi <yo...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/10 15:19:26 UTC

Adopting Calcite to a new DB

Hi
I'm working on a DB that focuses on substantial data sets (100s of TB). We
have built multiple custom operators and are now trying to integrate
Calcite so we can do better optimization, including CBO.
We're looking for help regarding best practices for introducing a custom
operator.
We're also looking for assistance on the best way to use Calcite in our
environment.

We'll be happy to consider a consulting engagement or even just pointers to
Calcite architecture.

Thanks,
Yori
yori.lavi.100@gmail.com

Re: Adopting Calcite to a new DB

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.
Is this an operator that corresponds to new operations that need to be
processed or optimizations of existing operations? If these are simply
optimizations, you may be able to write rules that replace existing
operators with your custom operators. You could then hook into the
planner to add these rules.

If you actually need to represent operations not covered by the
current algebra, you'll probably want to modify either RelBuilder to
construct the expressions manually (or with your own parser) or modify
the parser to accept whatever new constructs you need and then change
SqlToRelConverter to construct the algebra for these queries.

--
Michael Mior
mmior@apache.org