Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Hector Alvarez Pol <ha...@fpddux.usc.es> on 2006/05/08 07:16:05 UTC

checkout

Hello,

I have problems using a structure with two repositories
/scratch/hapol/snvroot    with the directory mySim1
/scratch/hapol/svnroot2    with the directory mySim2
when trying to checkout remotely.
The problem is the following: I can checkout independently both
repositories with
    svn checkout http://misite.com:/mySim/   .
    svn checkout http://misite.com:/mySim2/   .
but I cannot check only the trunk inside one of both:
    svn checkout http://mysite.com:/mySim2/trunk .
    svn: REPORT request failed on '/mySim2/!svn/bc/2/trunk'
    svn: '/mySim2/!svn/bc/2/trunk' path not found

This cause me problems on the directory structure of the simulation
programs, as I cannot checkout both repositories on a remote machine on
the same directory
    svn checkout http://mysite.com:/mySim1/ .      [command successful]
    svn checkout http://mysite.com:/mySim2/ .
    svn: '.' is already a working copy for a different URL

Note that, locally, I can checkout trunk (alone) without any problem (
svn checkout file:////scratch/hapol/svnroot/trunk mySim ).

Additional info:
Fedora Core 3, with packages (rpm) subversion-1.2.1-0.1.1.fc3.rf on both
sides and htppd-2.0.53-3.3 (apache) on the repository side. The
httpd.conf file using the DAV module is:
#svn configuration for mySim1
<Location /mySim1>
        DAV svn
        SVNPath /scratch/hapol/svnroot
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "mySim1 Subversion Repository"
        AuthUserFile /etc/svn-auth-file
        Require valid-user
</Location>

#svn configuration for mySim2
<Location /mySim2>
        DAV svn
        SVNPath /scratch/hapol/svnroot2
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "mySim2 Subversion Repository"
        AuthUserFile /etc/svn-auth-file
        Require valid-user
</Location>

thank you very much in advance,

    Hector Alvarez

Re: checkout

Posted by Markus Henschel <ma...@gmx.de>.
> try
>     svn checkout http://misite.com:/mySim/trunk  mySim1
>     svn checkout http://misite.com:/mySim2/trunk mySim2
Externals might be a good solution too. This way a single checkout
command would do.

Re: checkout

Posted by John Allen <jo...@dublinux.net>.
On Mon 08 May 2006 14:20, Hector Alvarez Pol wrote:
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> > That is correct. You have set them up to be two independent
> > repositories, so you must check them out independently. If you wanted
> > to be able to check out a common parent directory, then you would
> > need to set the two projects up as directories within a single
> > repository.
>
> Thanks for your answer, Ryan, but I think I did not explain clearly what
> my problem is.  I do not want to check out a common parent; I separate
> both repositories because I need two projects well separated.
> The question is that the remote checkout using http does not allow to
> get the trunk directory alone. I must checkout all the repository. And
> this impacts the directory structure in the remote computers.
> As explained in the previous mail, I cannot create in a remote computer
> a directory structure like:
>     simsDir/
>
>            |->  mySim1/
>            |->  mySim2/

try
    svn checkout http://misite.com:/mySim/trunk  mySim1
    svn checkout http://misite.com:/mySim2/trunk mySim2

> cause the checkout of the second project is forbidden (the directory
> simsDir "is already a working copy for a different URL").
> This is solved if I could checkout the trunk directory inside the
> respositories...
>
> So, it is not possible to get simply the trunk directory inside a
> repository using the checkout with http ?
>
>              Hector Alvarez Pol

John Allen                           mailto:john.allen@moyville.net
Mandriva Club Member(Silver)         http://www.moyville.net
Site of the day http://www.arsenalsquirrel.com/
Mandriva Linux release 2006.0 (Official) for i586, kernel 2.6.12-15mdk
 14:31:57 up 3 days,  4:31,  1 user,  load average: 0.07, 0.11, 0.13

Re: checkout

Posted by Hector Alvarez Pol <ha...@fpddux.usc.es>.
Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 5/8/2006 9:20 AM, Hector Alvarez Pol wrote:
>
>> As explained in the previous mail, I cannot create in a remote
>> computer a directory structure like:
>>     simsDir/
>>            |->  mySim1/
>>            |->  mySim2/
>> cause the checkout of the second project is forbidden.
>> This is solved if I could checkout the trunk directory inside the
>> respositories...
>
> Sorry for coming in late, you may already have explained this, but why
> not make simsDir a regular (non-versioned) directory, and check out
> mySim1 and mySim2 into it?

If I create a regular directory simsDir and I try to checkout both
projects in this directory I will get:
svn checkout http://mysite:/mySim1/ .
A    mySim1
A    mySim1/trunk
A    ActarSim/trunk/file1
svn checkout http://mysite:/mySim2/ .
svn: '.' is already a working copy for a different URL
So, as you mention, I cannot checkout two different things to the
identical location.

Locally I can create the simsDir/ and inside the regular (non-versioned)
mySim1/ and mySim2/ directories. Then, using

cd mySim1/; svn checkout file:////scratch/hapol/svnroot/trunk .
cd ../mySim2/; svn checkout file:////scratch/hapol/svnroot2/trunk .

everything works and I have the required directory structure.
Unfortunately I cannot make the same remotely as

svn checkout http://mysite.com:/mySim2/trunk .

 does not work for me.

Maybe you would say that I can do a (http) checkout in different
directories... But then, the directory structure will be quite different
of that in local machines; the only way of solving the problem I can see
is using (http) checkout of trunk alone.

And, basically my question is if  my impossibility to checkout remotely
(http) the trunk is a feature or is something I am doing wrong (?)

Re: checkout

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 5/8/2006 9:20 AM, Hector Alvarez Pol wrote:
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>

>> That is correct. You have set them up to be two independent
>> repositories, so you must check them out independently. If you wanted
>> to be able to check out a common parent directory, then you would
>> need to set the two projects up as directories within a single
>> repository.
>
> Thanks for your answer, Ryan, but I think I did not explain clearly what
> my problem is.  I do not want to check out a common parent; I separate
> both repositories because I need two projects well separated.
> The question is that the remote checkout using http does not allow to
> get the trunk directory alone. I must checkout all the repository. And
> this impacts the directory structure in the remote computers.
> As explained in the previous mail, I cannot create in a remote computer
> a directory structure like:
>     simsDir/
>            |->  mySim1/
>            |->  mySim2/
> cause the checkout of the second project is forbidden (the directory
> simsDir "is already a working copy for a different URL").
> This is solved if I could checkout the trunk directory inside the
> respositories...

Sorry for coming in late, you may already have explained this, but why
not make simsDir a regular (non-versioned) directory, and check out
mySim1 and mySim2 into it?

> So, it is not possible to get simply the trunk directory inside a
> repository using the checkout with http ?

I think what you can't do is checkout two different things to the
identical location.  I don't think the protocol (http, etc) is relevant.

Duncan Murdoch

Re: checkout

Posted by Hector Alvarez Pol <ha...@fpddux.usc.es>.

Re: checkout