Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gautam <gs...@cisco.com> on 2010/08/18 12:24:50 UTC

Deploy xyz.war as context path as / accessible by http://localhost:8080/ instead of http://localhost/xyz

Hi,

I am new to Tomcat world and I am working on Tomcat 6.X on Solaris 10. C

I want your help to figure out way to make an application war deploy
with root context. I.e An app xyz.war is accessible by
http://localhost:8080/ instead of http://localhost/xyz

The current war file is named xyz.war, it's META-INF/context.xml has
entries for jdbc resources etc. At the moment I have been softlinking
webapps/ROOT -> to /some/path/to/war/xyz and using it.

But now due to some change, I need deploy xyz.war directly into webapps/
but with root context and not use this softlinking method.

I tried to add
conf/Catalina/localhost/xyz.xml and add path="" but that did not help.

Pls advice.

Re: Deploy xyz.war as context path as / accessible by http://localhost:8080/ instead of http://localhost/xyz

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Pid wrote:
> On 18/08/2010 11:24, Gautam wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am new to Tomcat world and I am working on Tomcat 6.X on Solaris 10. C
>>
>> I want your help to figure out way to make an application war deploy
>> with root context. I.e An app xyz.war is accessible by
>> http://localhost:8080/ instead of http://localhost/xyz
>>
>> The current war file is named xyz.war, it's META-INF/context.xml has
>> entries for jdbc resources etc. At the moment I have been softlinking
>> webapps/ROOT -> to /some/path/to/war/xyz and using it.
>>
>> But now due to some change, I need deploy xyz.war directly into webapps/
>> but with root context and not use this softlinking method.
>>
>> I tried to add
>> conf/Catalina/localhost/xyz.xml and add path="" but that did not help.
>>
>> Pls advice.
>
> Rename the file, ROOT.war.  Note: capitals matter.

And there is a detailed explanation here:
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo

That is for http://localhost/
For the ":8080" bit, that is your HTTP <Connector> in conf/server.xml

Re: Deploy xyz.war as context path as / accessible by http://localhost:8080/ instead of http://localhost/xyz

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 18/08/2010 12:12, Gautam wrote:
> Hi PID,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Is there any other way than to use ROOT.war or
> softlink to ROOT?

None that I'd recommend.  Is there a reason why this simple step won't
work for you?

Linking will likely cause double deployment, which you don't want.

Posted by Gautam <gs...@cisco.com>.
Hi PID,

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.