Posted to kerby@directory.apache.org by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com> on 2016/01/08 15:58:43 UTC

kadmin-remote branch

Note kadmin-remote branch is created for the remote kadmin support work.

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
>>At the end of the day, I would say : 'whatever works'.
Yeah, it's my end of the day. Thanks anyway for the discussion, because discussion is good than none, even not smoothly!

Kindly regards,
Kai

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

RE: kadmin-remote branch

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
>> your initial message was "kadmin-remote branch is created for the remote kadmin support work.".
My message here may be a little simple, but I based on the assumption and fact that we have discussed quite much about the feature. It's not a simple fix, but rather a significant effort that may take months.

>> why do we need a branch for something that deserves to be in trunk ? Or maybe it does not deserve to be in trunk, but I don't see why. Can you explain us ?
I thought I had explained before and just don't know how to explain it better. It's not a small fix or refactoring stuff, it may take months. It should be in trunk, because it evolves faster. It's a common practice to do such things in a feature branch. Nothing needless to say. The "deserve" word looks strange to me. The feature branch looks equally important in my point of view.

Regards,
Kai

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

RE: kadmin-remote branch

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
>> Even if it's a brand new piece of code, I don't see why it should be seggregated to a branch, instead of being part of the trunk.
I was surprised now you changed to think in this way, actually you said branch is cheap in git and we should use new branches for features. If you remembered, in previous discussion before, I suggested we use trunk for development, and cutting separate branch for RC2 release.

>> Being in trunk does not mean you have to build it with the other modules (enough to comment it in the main pom)...
It would look rather messy in this way. It maybe works but still depends on the fact that there're only new codes that reside in the separate new module, no new codes and no modification codes into existing modules.

>> you have to reimport the full project everytime you switch
Yeah, I felt some inconvenience. I used a work around, how about two working copies.

Regards,
Kai

> I don't quite understand your question. Apparently the codes are in some module(s), but isn't relevant to the question that whether it should stay in trunk or a branch. Kadmin-remote is a big new feature that involves significant new codes and currently it's still in its very early phase, therefore I don't think we should do it in trunk.
I probably wasn't clear.

Even if it's a brand new piece of code, I don't see why it should be seggregated to a branch, instead of being part of the trunk. Being in trunk does not mean you have to build it with the other modules (enough to comment it in the main pom), but having it in a branch froces the developers to switch to the branches to build it. Having it in a branch makes it painful because even if it's easy to switch from trunk to branch and back, it's not the same story when it comes to teh IDE integration (basically, you have to reimport the full project everytime you switch).

Re: kadmin-remote branch

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

RE: kadmin-remote branch

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
I don't quite understand your question. Apparently the codes are in some module(s), but isn't relevant to the question that whether it should stay in trunk or a branch. Kadmin-remote is a big new feature that involves significant new codes and currently it's still in its very early phase, therefore I don't think we should do it in trunk.

Regards,
Kai

> Note kadmin-remote branch is created for the remote kadmin support work.

Why is that ? Can't it be seen as a sub-module of the Kerby project, instead of being moved to a branch ?

Re: kadmin-remote branch

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.