Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2005/06/01 01:21:21 UTC

Re: Stable/Unstable/Sandbox

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 11:50:43AM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Can we agree that we need to somehow construct the stable, unstable
> and sandbox codebases?

I don't think we have agreed on what is stable and what is unstable.  We were having a discussion on the fact that it is now impossible to offer a stable upgrade/patch path for applications.  That thread was killed with "PLEASE CAN WE PUT IT ON HOLD UNTIL AFTER CERTIFICATION."

Now Jeremy has proposed that we ignore that discussion and begin cementing what we currently have as stable.  How is that at all fair?

-David

Re: Stable/Unstable/Sandbox

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On May 31, 2005, at 7:21 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 11:50:43AM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> Can we agree that we need to somehow construct the stable, unstable
>> and sandbox codebases?
>>

> I don't think we have agreed on what is stable and what is unstable.

Fair enough - but can we agree that we need the *distinction* and
then decide what goes *in*?

> We were having a discussion on the fact that it is now impossible
> to offer a stable upgrade/patch path for applications.  That thread
> was killed with "PLEASE CAN WE PUT IT ON HOLD UNTIL AFTER
> CERTIFICATION."
>
> Now Jeremy has proposed that we ignore that discussion and begin
> cementing what we currently have as stable.  How is that at all fair?

I think that what Jeremy has proposed actually fixes that, doesn't it?

We can have a stable area that we focus on going for cert and then
version 1.0, and a unstable area where innovation and change (like
the serialization experimentation) can happen - then things that work
can be brought to stable, w/o affecting the work for cert and 1.0

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Stable/Unstable/Sandbox

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On May 31, 2005, at 5:55 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On May 31, 2005, at 8:10 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> (reordered)
>>
>>> Just going to throw out that I think the only goal we can all agree
>>> on is to not regress on certification once we achieve it.
>>>

>> I certainly hope we agree on this :-) but hope we can find more to
>> agree on.

>> I don't know about fair, but I am finding this discussion nearly as
>> distracting as the previous one that we put on hold.  I still don't
>> see what exotic svn tricks might buy us over normal svn usage, and
>> don't want to spend a lot of time thinking about it until we pass all
>> the tests.  I still think everyones perspective may change once we
>> are passing all the tests and have fixed the few egregious
>> architectural problems that crept in.
>>
>> I would like to put this discussion on hold until we pass all the
>> tests
>
> if that happens, w/o a stable area, we have to put all changes except
> certification related changes on hold until we pass.
>
> right?

Not really, I think anything we agree should be in our actual first
certified release can be added.  For instance I'd like to see Jeremy's
configuration and assembly plugins get to a working state and be used
for the build.  There are a couple of other changes I have in mind that
dont affect tests passing but improve the structure or usability.
There's at least one patch (servlet start order) I want to apply soon.

thanks
david jencks

Re: Stable/Unstable/Sandbox

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: Stable/Unstable/Sandbox

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 5/31/05, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> I don't think we have agreed on what is stable and what is unstable.
> >> We were having a discussion on the fact that it is now impossible to
> >> offer a stable upgrade/patch path for applications.  That thread was
> >> killed with "PLEASE CAN WE PUT IT ON HOLD UNTIL AFTER CERTIFICATION."
> >>
> >> Now Jeremy has proposed that we ignore that discussion and begin
> >> cementing what we currently have as stable.  How is that at all fair?
> >>

> I don't know about fair, but I am finding this discussion nearly as
> distracting as the previous one that we put on hold.  I still don't see
> what exotic svn tricks might buy us over normal svn usage, and don't
> want to spend a lot of time thinking about it until we pass all the
> tests.  I still think everyones perspective may change once we are
> passing all the tests and have fixed the few egregious architectural
> problems that crept in.

If you're referring to the circular dependency between Geronimo and
OpenEJB, I agree. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: Stable/Unstable/Sandbox

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Re: Stable/Unstable/Sandbox

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
(reordered)

Re: Stable/Unstable/Sandbox

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On May 31, 2005, at 7:40 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 04:21:21PM -0700, David Blevins wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 11:50:43AM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> Can we agree that we need to somehow construct the stable, unstable
>>> and sandbox codebases?
>>>

>> I don't think we have agreed on what is stable and what is
>> unstable.  We were having a discussion on the fact that it is now
>> impossible to offer a stable upgrade/patch path for applications.
>> That thread was killed with "PLEASE CAN WE PUT IT ON HOLD UNTIL
>> AFTER CERTIFICATION."
>>
>> Now Jeremy has proposed that we ignore that discussion and begin
>> cementing what we currently have as stable.  How is that at all fair?
>>

> Just going to throw out that I think the only goal we can all agree
> on is to not regress on certification once we achieve it.

I think that's a requirement, certainly in the "stable" tree :)

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Stable/Unstable/Sandbox

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.