Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by John Sumsion <Su...@familysearch.org> on 2014/10/01 23:45:09 UTC

Question about incremental repair

If you only run incremental repairs, does that mean that bitrot will go undetected for already repaired sstables?

If so, is there any other process that will detect bitrot for all the repaired sstables other than full repair (or an unfortunate user)?

John...

Re: Question about incremental repair

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com> wrote:

> Compressed SSTables store a checksum for every compressed block, which is
> checked each time the block is decompressed.  I believe there's a ticket
> out there to add something similar for non-compressed SSTables.
>
> We also store the sha1 hash of SSTables in its own file on disk.

@OP : this came up a few weeks ago on the list, search for bitrot for the

Expanding on the discussion further, I plan to file a JIRA on
you-must-mark-all-sstables-for-that-range-unrepaired-if-you-fail-CRC-on-read.
I'll try to remember to reply on thread when I do.

Once there is a CRC on uncompressed read,
marking-all-sstables-unrepaired-on-failed-CRC would handle the bitrot case
for both uncompressed and compressed reads.

=Rob

Re: Question about incremental repair

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.

--