Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Todd Jonker <tv...@pobox.com> on 2003/10/30 06:33:50 UTC

Re: [all] new list for cvs commits? (was Re: commons-configuration)

On 10/29/03 7:19 PM, grahamdavid1980@yahoo.com wrote:

> Simple email filtering rules help
> to get rid of messages you don't want to see.

This recommendation doesn't help those of us who have to use lame-ass Web
mail interfaces during the workday.  It's incredibly tedious to have to page
and delete the commit messages that flow through every day.

As someone who is a non-committer but likes to keep up with commons-dev,
such a change would make it MUCH easier for me to follow the discussion
threads.  This in turn makes it more likely that I'll actually implement
changes for submission to the projects.  As it is, I've been very close to
unsubscribing from commons-dev just because the volume is overwheleming.

.T.

Re: [all] new list for cvs commits? (was Re: commons-configuration)

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Todd Jonker <tv...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 10/29/03 7:19 PM, grahamdavid1980@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Simple email filtering rules help
> > to get rid of messages you don't want to see.
>
> This recommendation doesn't help those of us who have to use lame-ass
> Web
> mail interfaces during the workday.

I've managed to make my free Yahoo! account filter messages into different
folders.

> It's incredibly tedious to have to
> page
> and delete the commit messages that flow through every day.

This is a result of so many projects using commons-dev, not the commit
messages.  As other have pointed out, the commits *must* be followed by
the project team on the dev list.  Dev list discussions are often prompted
by replies to commit messages.  Separating the commits to some forgotten
side list is the wrong approach.

David