Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Daz DeBoer <da...@gradleware.com> on 2013/10/09 23:25:49 UTC

Re: HttpClient 4.4 time line; Re: [POLL] Minimal JRE level as of HttpClient 4.4

Sorry I missed this poll.

I'm a developer of Gradle, and we use HttpClient pretty heavily under the
covers as part of our dependency resolution engine.
Unfortunately we're stuck with Java 1.5 compatibility for the time being:
that _may_ change to 1.6 for Gradle 2.0 (early next year), but it
definitely won't be 1.7 any time soon.

If you guys decide to upgrade then fair enough; I guess we'll need to
decide whether to backport new features, stick with what we've got or look
elsewhere. (We'd be quite interested in integrated Windows Authentication.)

Anyway, just another data point, not a vote either way.
cheers
Daz

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2013-10-09 at 15:25 -0600, Daz DeBoer wrote:
> Sorry I missed this poll.
>
> I'm a developer of Gradle, and we use HttpClient pretty heavily under the
> covers as part of our dependency resolution engine.
> Unfortunately we're stuck with Java 1.5 compatibility for the time being:
> that _may_ change to 1.6 for Gradle 2.0 (early next year), but it
> definitely won't be 1.7 any time soon.
>
> If you guys decide to upgrade then fair enough; I guess we'll need to
> decide whether to backport new features, stick with what we've got or look
> elsewhere. (We'd be quite interested in integrated Windows Authentication.)
>
> Anyway, just another data point, not a vote either way.
> cheers
> Daz

Hi Daz

No formal decision has been taken yet, however I think it is almost
certain we will no longer support Java 1.5 for HC 4.4 series. I also do
not think HttpClient should requite Java 1.7. This is more likely to
happen for HttpAsyncClient though due to NIO2. Upstream projects will be
consulted in any case. Regardless of what happens in HC 4.4 I can assure
you that HC 4.3 will be supported as long as Gradle depends on it (if
need be, simply out of my personal utter admiration for Gradle).

Cheers

Oleg