Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org> on 2013/05/07 05:18:40 UTC

A Complete AOO Package

Thinking of how best to put AOO on a DVD, I looked at the downloads
available at Sourceforge.

I see, for a couple localizations, about 900 meg of installables (six
different ones) and about 60 meg of language packs.

Do the installables vary between localizations?  Or are they all the same
with different language packs?  Because if they're the same, it means the
installables plus all language packs would fit on a single DVD, which could
then be custom-installed by anyone.

Don

Re: A Complete AOO Package

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM, Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > Thinking of how best to put AOO on a DVD, I looked at the downloads
> > available at Sourceforge.
> >

> You might want to look at what Drew did back with AOO 3.4.0 with his
> CD.  He might have some ideas on what worked well, or what didn't.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/lorepo/files/AOO34/
>
> My impression was that users preferred the full localized installs,
> since it was one less step for them to do.

Looks like he did one CD with a Windows US-en installer and all the
language packs.

Of course I'd prefer that over 70 localized DVD images, but 70 images can
be done.  I could even include all the language packs on all 70, so that
languages can be changed as needed.

Don

Re: A Complete AOO Package

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM, Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org> wrote:
> Thinking of how best to put AOO on a DVD, I looked at the downloads
> available at Sourceforge.

You might want to look at what Drew did back with AOO 3.4.0 with his
CD.  He might have some ideas on what worked well, or what didn't.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lorepo/files/AOO34/

My impression was that users preferred the full localized installs,
since it was one less step for them to do.

-Rob

Re: A Complete AOO Package

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
> From: Andrea Pescetti [mailto:pescetti@apache.org]

> The overall idea is quite nice. Just this detail (flag) met some
> opposition in the past, since using flags to represent languages is
> vehemently opposed by some.

Ok, that's a point. I have to think about it.

Greetings,
Jörg

Re: A Complete AOO Package

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Jörg Schmidt wrote:
> The implementation of this GUI should be with national flags and option buttons.

The overall idea is quite nice. Just this detail (flag) met some
opposition in the past, since using flags to represent languages is
vehemently opposed by some.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: A Complete AOO Package

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello,

> From: Donald Whytock [mailto:dwhytock@gmail.com]

> Is it possible to prompt the user for a language during the
> installation?
>  A lot of packages do that.  It could populate a dropdown
> based on what
> languages are bundled with the installer.

I am working currently already on a GUI for the DVD, which automatically detects
the language of the installed MS Windows, and also possible for the user to select
the language for the installation manually.

The implementation of this GUI should be with national flags and option buttons.

But sorry, I need time, because I know only a few hours that I will make this DVD.
I think in a few days I can say more.

Greetings,
Jörg

Re: A Complete AOO Package

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.

Re: A Complete AOO Package

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On May 7, 2013 12:18 PM, "Donald Whytock" <dw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>
wrote:

> > > From: dwhytock@gmail.com [mailto:dwhytock@gmail.com] On
> > > it means the
> > > installables plus all language packs would fit on a single
> > > DVD, which could
> > > then be custom-installed by anyone.
> >
> > But where could you offer the ISO file to download later? Because this
is
> > an
> > international version, probably a lot of traffic will arise there.
Ideas?

> I was actually thinking of contacting a publish-on-demand service.  People
> can buy it online and have it mailed to them.  I'd estimate the cost to be
> about US$6.00.  A link could be put on the download page, to the effect of
> "...or you can order a DVD."  It would be more reputable than Ebay, and it
> would cut down on the emails asking, "Someone's ebay-ing OpenOffice...is
> that *legal*?"

This would be great if you could take this on Donald.  I think if you
searched the "dev" mail archives, you would see mention of at least some
entities that could provide this kind of actual mailing. We've had several
requests in the past for CDs. Hopefully these same folks could use DVDs as
well.

Re: A Complete AOO Package

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.

Re: A Complete AOO Package

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello,

> From: dwhytock@gmail.com [mailto:dwhytock@gmail.com] On

> Thinking of how best to put AOO on a DVD, I looked at the downloads
> available at Sourceforge.
>
> I see, for a couple localizations, about 900 meg of installables (six
> different ones) and about 60 meg of language packs.
>
> Do the installables vary between localizations?  Or are they
> all the same
> with different language packs?  Because if they're the same,
> it means the
> installables plus all language packs would fit on a single
> DVD, which could
> then be custom-installed by anyone.

To me, this sounds interesting.
I have therefore spoken with the other people (Detlef and Jan), together with
which I publish the PrOOo Box (www.prooo-box.org), and we want to take care of
such a DVD (we estimate the total data volume to 1.3 GB).

I think we will need some time before we have completed a prototype of such a DVD
(ISO file).

But where could you offer the ISO file to download later? Because this is an
international version, probably a lot of traffic will arise there. Ideas?

Note: We ourselves have limited resources. Currently we provide the ISOs of
PrOOo-Box on our own root server available for download, and have, for some time,
even an additional provider of our ISO offers to download (
http://www.chip.de/downloads/OpenOffice-PrOOo-Box_13012912.html ).

Greetings,
Jörg