Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by John Smith <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2006/04/06 19:50:34 UTC

DateField vs DateTools

Hi

  We are in the process of upgrading Lucene from 1.2 to 1.9.

  There used to be 2 methods in DateField.java in 1.2

    public static String MIN_DATE_STRING()
    public static String MAX_DATE_STRING()

  This basically gave the minimum and the maximum dates we could index using Lucene. We used these dates for building DateFilters.

  Also if we got a date before 1970 to index, we would get an exception as  "Time too early" and if we got a date after the MAX_DATE_STRING, which kind of boiled down to some time in Apr 5188 or so... we would get an exception as "time too late". We used this functionality also.

  I have not drilled down into the implementation details too much, but what was the reason for getting rid of these methods in Lucene 1.9?

Is it still possible for us to get similar functionality in Lucene 1.9. If so, can anyone help us with this.

  Thank you

  JS

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: DateField vs DateTools

Posted by Daniel Naber <lu...@danielnaber.de>.
On Donnerstag 06 April 2006 19:50, John Smith wrote:

>   I have not drilled down into the implementation details too much, but
> what was the reason for getting rid of these methods in Lucene 1.9?

There is no limit on the given dates in DateTools (within the limits of
what Java's Calendar/Date class can do).

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de