Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Pi...@cec.eu.int on 2000/09/22 14:33:13 UTC

RE: [Cocoon Users] Re: Xalan and Cocoon gives different result fo r some XSL

Isn't that what Open Source means ?

Pierre A.

Posted by Andrew Wat <cs...@cs.ust.hk>.
Hello,

> That being said, you could implement the source viewing extension with
> zero programming by using the sample view-source application and one
> apache rewrite rule to do the following transformation on the uri:
>
> /foo/bar.xmls -> /view-source?filename=/docroot/foo/bar.xml

Thanks for this pointer.

I think I can conclude that I cannot use the particular XSL that I want
to use (which has the collapsable tree JavaScript effect) unless I
tweak around with view-source XSP to incorporate this particular XSL.

I also thank others pointing out the security issue.

Thanks
Andrew

Re: [Cocoon Users] Re: Xalan and Cocoon gives different result fo r some XSL

Posted by Jason T <l-...@ahab.com>.
On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 03:53:08PM -0400, Stephen Zisk wrote:

> Of course, masking the XML source cannot make up for lazy design or poorly
> implemented security, but exposing the source may be a potential unlocked
> door for knob twisters.

This is all very true... a careful reading of news reports about hacks
(even in contests) reveals that unprotected or insecurely designed web
applications may be responsible for more site cracks than you'd
normally think.

Posted by Stephen Zisk <sz...@mediabridge.net>.
>Isn't that what Open Source means ?
>
>Pierre A.

I'm not sure whether to take this as a tease or not. Ah, well! My friends
say I'm too serious anyway.

The fact that Cocoon itself is open source does not mean you want to
display the source XML file to all end users who request it. Cocoon should
be able to manage things on sites where security and privacy have value.

Specifically, if you are trying to implement any kind of user or role
separation, managing private user data, etc, by storing info in an XML file
being served by Cocoon, or if you implement security using xsp code, you
may want the transformed file to be served to the end user but not the
source XML.

Of course, masking the XML source cannot make up for lazy design or poorly
implemented security, but exposing the source may be a potential unlocked
door for knob twisters.

Regards,
Stephen Zisk                      MediaBridge Technologies
email:  szisk@mediabridge.net     100 Nagog Park
tel:    978-795-7040              Acton, MA 01720    USA
fax:    978-795-7100              http://www.mediabridge.net