Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Mike <mi...@wolman.co.uk> on 2015/02/24 22:17:21 UTC

couch as statsd backend

Hi Everyone,

In case its of use for anyone else - I have added a backend to statsd to
emit stats to couchdb:

https://github.com/sysadminmike/couch-statsd-backend

https://www.npmjs.com/package/couch-statsd-backend

Mike.

Re: couch as statsd backend

Posted by Mike <mi...@wolman.co.uk>.
Hi Alexander,

I got it up to about 28k doc inserts every 10 secs but my machine
couldnt generate anymore than that (or statds couldnt ingest them fast
enough not sure - may have been hitting a socket limit somewhere).

Flushing stats at Tue Feb 24 2015 14:23:25 GMT+0000 (GMT)
done: added 28005 docs
Flushing stats at Tue Feb 24 2015 14:23:35 GMT+0000 (GMT)
done: added 28005 docs
Flushing stats at Tue Feb 24 2015 14:23:45 GMT+0000 (GMT)
done: added 28005 docs
Flushing stats at Tue Feb 24 2015 14:23:56 GMT+0000 (GMT)
done: added 28006 docs

When i dropped the flush time to 3 secs:

lushing stats at Tue Feb 24 2015 14:30:36 GMT+0000 (GMT)
done: added 27693 docs
Flushing stats at Tue Feb 24 2015 14:30:38 GMT+0000 (GMT)
done: added 27770 docs
Flushing stats at Tue Feb 24 2015 14:30:39 GMT+0000 (GMT)
done: added 27737 docs

But couch didnt last too long and died after a few secs.

I didnt do any more than some quick load testing as I am not really
planning on collecting more than a few thousand a minute.

I didnt think it took up too much space either >2million metrics 0.5G
(after tuning on snappy and running a compact):

{
  "db_name":"aatest",
  "doc_count":2272446,
  "doc_del_count":0,
  "update_seq":2272446,
  "purge_seq":0,
  "compact_running":false,
  "disk_size":562339953,
  "data_size":559869189,
  "instance_start_time":"1424789845662450",
  "disk_format_version":6,
  "committed_update_seq":2272446
}

Test machine is about 5 years old - Core2 Duo@ 3.00GHz with 4GB ram -
with lack of ram and zfs causing some slowness and running a few couch
instances and other jails so i suspect properly setup would push >40k
docs on ufs rather than zfs - im using normal hard disks as well so with
ssd drives >50k or more.

Mike.

Re: couch as statsd backend

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.