Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Greg Klebus <gr...@klebus.com> on 2009/02/02 15:53:04 UTC

CRX 1.4.1 released - powered by Apache Jackrabbit & Sling - thanks!

Hi All,

I'd like to thank the Apache Jackrabbit and Apache Sling communities
for your contributions to the two excellent open-source products,
which we at Day use as a basis for our commercially-supported Content
Repository Extreme (CRX) product [1]!

Please see the dev.day.com announcement of the CRX 1.4.1 release [2]
for more information if you are interested. For one thing, we've got
new licensing, including the free CRX Developer edition [3] for all
non-production usage of CRX!

[1] http://www.day.com/crx
[2] http://dev.day.com/microsling/content/blogs/main/crx141ga.html
[3] http://day.com/downloadcrx

Cheers,
Greg

-- Greg Klebus | http://day.com | http://dev.day.com
-- Best open-source JCR repository: http://jacrkabbit.apache.org
-- CRX Free Developer edition: http://www.day.com/downloadcrx

Re: CRX 1.4.1 released - powered by Apache Jackrabbit & Sling - thanks!

Posted by Juan José Vázquez Delgado <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> I myself would be
> interested in how Jackrabbit (and Sling) is used in other companies'
> products.
>
> Cheers
> Greg

Absolutely agree. It´s very important to know as many Sling/Jackrabbit
case estudies as possible.

Congratulations!.

BR,

Juanjo.

Re: CRX 1.4.1 released - powered by Apache Jackrabbit & Sling - thanks!

Posted by Juan José Vázquez Delgado <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Greg Klebus <gr...@klebus.com>.
Hi All

Thanks for the comments so far.

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Thomas Müller <th...@day.com> wrote:
> + 1 to using [ANN] and [JOB]

+1

> [...] the  company behind the [announcement] offer participates in the community (i.e. I
> don't want to see nameless head hunters roaming around here)."

+1

@Michael:
> I guess all the devs (and in particular Day's devs) are on skiing vacation
> ;-)

Believe me, I did get some extra feedback/bashing from Day devs here
in the office, including a detailed analysis of my post (e.g., I used
so many exclamation marks! Why?!!!! Doh!). Lesson learned. I'm glad we
have clarified the rules a little at the same time - I myself would be

Posted by Thomas Müller <th...@day.com>.
Hi,

+ 1 to using [ANN] and [JOB]

Regards,
Thomas

Re: CRX 1.4.1 released - powered by Apache Jackrabbit & Sling - thanks!

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 2:04 AM, Michael Wechner
<mi...@wyona.com> wrote:

> ...One more difference I see is that your post didn't seem to provoke many
> reactions (yet)
>
> http://www.nabble.com/CRX-1.4.1-released---powered-by-Apache-Jackrabbit---Sling---thanks!-td21791030.html
>
> whereas mine did quite a bit
>
> http://www.nabble.com/devs-for-fire-td17646225.html#a17655501
>
> I guess all the devs (and in particular Day's devs) are on skiing vacation
> ;-)

Good on them ;-)

Michael, I agree with you that Greg's and your post are on a similar
"spam level" if we want to call it like that.

In my opinion, what would have made the difference is using [ANN] and
[JOB] tags in the subject lines.

Coming from community members (i.e. people who are actively involved
in a project, at least as regular mailing list posters), I think the
occasional job or product announcement is fine, provided it is
identified with such a tag.

Just my 2c though, I'm not a committer nor PMC member here, and not
speaking with my board hat on either, just myself (this hats thing can
be hard to manage sometimes ;-)

-Bertrand

Re: CRX 1.4.1 released - powered by Apache Jackrabbit & Sling - thanks!

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

<mi...@wyona.com> wrote:
> One more difference I see is that your post didn't seem to provoke many
> reactions (yet)
>
> http://www.nabble.com/CRX-1.4.1-released---powered-by-Apache-Jackrabbit---Sling---thanks!-td21791030.html
>
> whereas mine did quite a bit
>
> http://www.nabble.com/devs-for-fire-td17646225.html#a17655501

My comment on that thread was:

"I don't see anything wrong with job offers as long as they are
related  to JCR and Jackrabbit and not too frequent. Especially when
the  company behind the offer participates in the community (i.e. I
don't want to see nameless head hunters roaming around here)."

My thinking on related product announcements is similar, so IMHO
Greg's message was fine.

We probably should follow up on the earlier idea of posting some
guidelines for these kinds of messages to build a better shared
understanding of what's appropriate and what's not.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: CRX 1.4.1 released - powered by Apache Jackrabbit & Sling - thanks!

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Greg Klebus schrieb:
> Hi Michael
>
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Michael Wechner
> <mi...@wyona.com> wrote:
>
>> with all respect for Day and in particular the various Apache devs working
>> at Day, but it seems to me that your email is just a nicely packaged spam
>> message
>>

> PS. Michael, I have to admit I have, post mortem, found your post re
> 'devs for fire'... nasty me ;) MfG, G.

I wouldn't consider that nasty of you, but just fair, but OTOH I think
the topic itself is rather different, but yes, it's also about
deciding what is appropriate.

One more difference I see is that your post didn't seem to provoke many
reactions (yet)

http://www.nabble.com/CRX-1.4.1-released---powered-by-Apache-Jackrabbit---Sling---thanks!-td21791030.html

whereas mine did quite a bit

http://www.nabble.com/devs-for-fire-td17646225.html#a17655501

I guess all the devs (and in particular Day's devs) are on skiing
vacation ;-)

Cheers

Michael

Re: CRX 1.4.1 released - powered by Apache Jackrabbit & Sling - thanks!

Posted by Greg Klebus <gr...@klebus.com>.
Hi Michael

<mi...@wyona.com> wrote:
> with all respect for Day and in particular the various Apache devs working
> at Day, but it seems to me that your email is just a nicely packaged spam
> message

Sorry you feel this way. I did want to thank the whole community, I
have thanked the Day engineering team in an internal email. I honestly
admit I wanted to let people know... being prod. manager for the
product and all.

I could have left out links to the release update blog, the interested
would have found out anyway.

Interesting question whether/under which condition would release
announcements be considered spam. I'll ask that separately, I think
announcements like this might be more interesting to users@ lists, if
the community's ok with that.

Cheers,
Greg