Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/08 12:37:59 UTC

Do we have a discussion group / public issue tracker?

Dumb question, is the issue tracker system publicly accessible? that
is, can issues be reported by the public there?

Also is there any kind of discussion board for Mahout on apache.org or
is the norm to use mahout-user@apache.org?

Re: Do we have a discussion group / public issue tracker?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Typically, on other projects, we've always encouraged people to ask
about "bugs" on the user mailing list first, then, if confirmed, to
put it up on JIRA.  So, yeah, JIRA is publicly accessible and issues
should be reported there.   Are you having trouble accessing it?  I
think it only needs a username/password if you are going to report or
comment on an issue.

actual development of Mahout, while mahout-user@ should be for
discussing how to use Mahout.  For general, higher level things around
the Lucene projects there is general@lucene.apache.org.

 From time to time, people will ask user questions on dev@.  Not a big
deal, but it is usually best to respond with the answer to the
question and then some (gentle) guidance to next time ask the question
on the user mailing list.  This seems to happen most when users come
to the list from tools like Nabble.