Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nick Childs <nc...@ramsoft.com> on 2015/11/19 05:19:42 UTC

Tomcat Conflicting with Group Policy Client

Tomcat Version: 6.0.39

Operating System: Server 2012 R2 Standard

Configuration: We are utilizing Tomcat as part of a Pentaho deployment - Tomcat is utilized for Pentaho's Data Integration and Business Analytics services.
Description: We have a custom Deployment of Pentaho using PostgreSQL and Tomcat Apache running within the current version of our proprietary Medical Imaging software. The integration works well, but we have spent months struggling to identify the cause of a major conflict between the PostgreSQL/Tomcat integration and group policy client in windows domain environments. Whenever the PostgreSQL and Tomcat Apache (Pentaho Data Integration) services are running, we begin to see 1 hour + reboot times and gpupdate failures due to the group policy client just hanging for long periods of time with no explanation. If only Pentaho is running, no problem is experienced. If only Tomcat is running, no problem is experienced - it is only when we have both running/communicating the Group Policy updates begin to fail.

We have enabled all known debugging in Group Policy, PostgreSQL, Pentaho, and Tomcat, performed xBootMgr traces, performed Process Monitor analysis, and Packet Captures, but have been unable to determine the cause of the conflict. We are also working with Microsoft, Pentaho, and PostgreSQL independently to try and flush out the culprit. After spending weeks analyzing and reviewing our development team's internal notes, I have become fairly confident that the root cause of this problem is related to the way that we deployed Tomcat, and the way that Tomcat/PostgreSQL communicate with each other, but I have not found solid proof that actually indicates this yet.

I have learned a lot about how PostgreSQL/Tomcat are functioning in this environment over the last week, but I am not part of the team that deployed this, and am certainly not an expert on Pentaho, PostgreSQL, or Tomcat. I have been collecting a list of debug error/warnings from the Tomcat logs over the last few days (attached), and I am hoping someone who is an expert on this stuff can possibly review this list of errors, provide an explanation/priority for each, and answer the following questions:

1. Are there any known conflicts with Tomcat and GroupPolicy in Windows domain environments? Required Configurations? Workarounds?
3. Are there any special debugging options or monitoring tools that we could use to get more information about what Tomcat is doing during the time periods that Group Policy Client is hung? The built-in logging is not helping us.
4. Do you have any suggestions or options that we can try to see if our behavior changes?

Please let me know if there is any additional information I can provide to help.

Regards,

Nick Childs
Information Technology Manager
[logo]
9480 Utica Avenue, Suite 612
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
Phone: 909.481.5800 x115
Cell: 909.717.4078
Skype: nchilds.ramsoft
Email: nchilds@ramsoft.com<ma...@ramsoft.com>

Follow Us On:

[youtube]<http://www.youtube.com/user/RamSoftInc>  [facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/RamSoft.Inc>   [twitter] <https://twitter.com/RamSoft_Info>   [linkedin] <http://www.linkedin.com/company/ramsoft>   [blog] <http://www.ramsoft.com/category/blog/>

Please visit our websites at:
www.RamSoft.com<http://www.ramsoft.com/>
www.ReadFromAnywhere.com<http://www.readfromanywhere.com/>

[Email signature footer RSNA2015]<https://www.ramsoft.com/events/>

Please contact support using: https://www.ramsoft.com/support/support-overview/
(Support emails may not receive a timely response and are not HIPAA compliant)

THIS MESSAGE MAY CONTAIN PROPRIETARY AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION AND TRADE SECRETS OF RAMSOFT INC. AND RAMSOFT USA, INC. UNAUTHORIZED USE OR DISCLOSURE IS PROHIBITED.

Re: Tomcat Conflicting with Group Policy Client

Posted by Ben Stringer <be...@burbong.com>.
On Thu, November 19, 2015 3:19 pm, Nick Childs wrote:
> Tomcat Version: 6.0.39
>
> Operating System: Server 2012 R2 Standard
>
> Configuration: We are utilizing Tomcat as part of a Pentaho deployment -
> Tomcat is utilized for Pentaho's Data Integration and Business Analytics
> services.
> Tomcat Apache running within the current version of our proprietary
> Medical Imaging software. The integration works well, but we have spent
> months struggling to identify the cause of a major conflict between the
> PostgreSQL/Tomcat integration and group policy client in windows domain
> environments. Whenever the PostgreSQL and Tomcat Apache (Pentaho Data
> Integration) services are running, we begin to see 1 hour + reboot times
> and gpupdate failures due to the group policy client just hanging for long
> periods of time with no explanation. If only Pentaho is running, no
> problem is experienced. If only Tomcat is running, no problem is
> experienced - it is only when we have both running/communicating the Group
> Policy updates begin to fail.

Hi Nick,

I don't know much about Windows Group Policy, but I'd start by trying to
identify if there is a resource contention issue between the components
you have listed. I'd be particularly looking at listening TCP ports, and
see if there are any clashes amongst the ports that each component expects
to have exclusive access to.

This information should be available in the conf files for each component.

Have you checked for other resource exhaustion (memory, paging space etc.)
when all components are running?

Cheers, Ben

RE: Tomcat Conflicting with Group Policy Client

Posted by Nick Childs <nc...@ramsoft.com>.
I did some testing with the PostgreSQL max_connections parameter this afternoon, but this does not solve our problem unfortunately.

Set max_connections to 300 (was 100), and rebooted the server. Verified that gpupdate is unable to complete if PostgreSQL is able to communicate with Tomcat.

Does anyone have any other ideas on what I can check to flush this out from Tomcat's side?

Regards,

Nick Childs
Information Technology Manager
RamSoft USA, Inc.
9480 Utica Avenue, Suite 612
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
Phone: 909.481.5800 x115
Cell: 909.717.4078
Skype: nchilds.ramsoft
Email: nchilds@ramsoft.com

> Operating System: Server 2012 R2 Standard
>
> Configuration: We are utilizing Tomcat as part of a Pentaho deployment - Tomcat is utilized for Pentaho's Data Integration and Business Analytics services.
> Description: We have a custom Deployment of Pentaho using PostgreSQL and Tomcat Apache running within the current version of our proprietary Medical Imaging software. The integration works well, but we have spent months struggling to identify the cause of a major conflict between the PostgreSQL/Tomcat integration and group policy client in windows domain environments. Whenever the PostgreSQL and Tomcat Apache (Pentaho Data Integration) services are running, we begin to see 1 hour + reboot times and gpupdate failures due to the group policy client just hanging for long periods of time with no explanation. If only Pentaho is running, no problem is experienced. If only Tomcat is running, no problem is experienced - it is only when we have both running/communicating the Group Policy updates begin to fail.
>
> We have enabled all known debugging in Group Policy, PostgreSQL, Pentaho, and Tomcat, performed xBootMgr traces, performed Process Monitor analysis, and Packet Captures, but have been unable to determine the cause of the conflict. We are also working with Microsoft, Pentaho, and PostgreSQL independently to try and flush out the culprit. After spending weeks analyzing and reviewing our development team's internal notes, I have become fairly confident that the root cause of this problem is related to the way that we deployed Tomcat, and the way that Tomcat/PostgreSQL communicate with each other, but I have not found solid proof that actually indicates this yet.
>
> I have learned a lot about how PostgreSQL/Tomcat are functioning in this environment over the last week, but I am not part of the team that deployed this, and am certainly not an expert on Pentaho, PostgreSQL, or Tomcat. I have been collecting a list of debug error/warnings from the Tomcat logs over the last few days (attached), and I am hoping someone who is an expert on this stuff can possibly review this list of errors, provide an explanation/priority for each, and answer the following questions:
>
> 1. Are there any known conflicts with Tomcat and GroupPolicy in Windows domain environments? Required Configurations? Workarounds?
> 3. Are there any special debugging options or monitoring tools that we could use to get more information about what Tomcat is doing during the time periods that Group Policy Client is hung? The built-in logging is not helping us.
> 4. Do you have any suggestions or options that we can try to see if our behavior changes?
>
> Please let me know if there is any additional information I can provide to help.

Hi.
I don't know anything about the various non-Tomcat softwares you are mentioning, and just a little bit about Tomcat.
But the one thing I see in your Tomcat logfile, is that there seem to be a lot of TCP connection errors of the kind "(Connection refused. Check that the hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting TCP/IP connections.)"
These seem to be related mostly to PostgreSQL.
Maybe there is a limit (in the PostgreSQL configuration) to how many connections it accepts at the same time ? or maybe the PostgreSQL server is just overloaded ?
Anyway, I would check this first, because there is a chance that many of the other errors which you are seeing are cascading down from there.

Re: Tomcat Conflicting with Group Policy Client

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 10:34:55AM +0100, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:
> I don't know anything about the various non-Tomcat softwares you are
> mentioning, and just a little bit about Tomcat.  But the one thing I
> see in your Tomcat logfile, is that there seem to be a lot of TCP
> connection errors of the kind "(Connection refused. Check that the
> hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting
> TCP/IP connections.)"  These seem to be related mostly to
> PostgreSQL.  Maybe there is a limit (in the PostgreSQL
> configuration) to how many connections it accepts at the same time ?
> or maybe the PostgreSQL server is just overloaded ?

There is.  It is in postgresql.conf:  max_connections.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library
755 W. Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202
317-274-0749
www.ulib.iupui.edu

Re: Tomcat Conflicting with Group Policy Client

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.