Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by sharad bhushan <sh...@yahoo.co.in> on 2006/08/29 12:34:07 UTC

information about shark

hi all,
 can any one give me information related to shark. and can u specify which
 ofbiz version has shark completly integrated

 bye

---------------------------------

RE: information about shark

Posted by David Garrett <dg...@communication.concepts.cc>.
I recently did some investigating Shark.

My key issues were with the Shark project.

There is a binary version of Shark that Ofbiz has in the old SVN ... See
notes in the OPTIONAL_LIBRARIES file
  NOTE: these jars are based on a build from source done on 03 May 2005 (see
old SVN rev 4944).
    For an updated version some changes to the integration code in the shark
component may be necessary.
  TO BUILD: once the jars are in place you can build from the
ofbiz/framework/shark directory, or
    you can add it to the build list in the ofbiz/build.xml file in the
framework-builds file list.
  TO DEPLOY: once the build is done the Shark container must be setup in the
ofbiz-containers.xml
    file or other containers file being used. The shark-container container
should be un-commented.

The next problem is that the source for this is no longer available. The
drivers of the Shark projet "Together" appear to have deleted all version 1
files. They have the version 2 files but have removed source from the
project to useful servers components eg Corba plus they have removed all the
build tools. Obviously they have their commercial interests to consider ...
Very unfortunate for Ofbiz integration.

Refer to the following message:
http://mail-archive.objectweb.org/shark/2006-04/msg00087.html

I have since been able to get the source for Shark 1.1-2 from July 2005.

I got this close to working (mostly) but I have decided that this is going
to be little value for me.

My current plan is to work with the current Shark binaries from the Ofbiz
SVN. With this in place I think the next step is to Shark 2. I'm thinking
maybe the commercial version (maybe). Version 2 has too many valuable fixes.
It is a nicety to use the Ofbiz entity engine rather than Enhydra DODS but
there are so many changes and frankly I don't know the Shark project culture
well enough to know what is likely to remain open source into the future.
Accordingly, I am inclined to use Shark 2 as a server, primarily independent
of Ofbiz for the workflow core ... And just implement the Service Tool
Agent.

I did make a change to
OfbizAuthenticationMgr.validateUser to ALWAYS return true (hack!!!) so that
we can deal with hased passwords (Yes Yes there is a better fix)

Anyway ... Bottom line ... What an unfortunate mess!!

David G

 can any one give me information related to shark. and can u specify which
ofbiz version has shark completly integrated

 bye

 Here's a new way to find what you're looking for - Yahoo! Answers  Send
FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Yahoo! Messenger Version 8. Get it NOW