Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/17 08:37:51 UTC

What should be the right Parent pom version ?

Doing a quick search on the code, looks like we have a combination of
parent pom references in our current trunk code.

Searching for: <version>2-incubating</version>
cts\pom.xml(24): <version>2-incubating</version>
sca\pom.xml(25): <version>2-incubating</version>
sca\pom.xml(160): <version>2-incubating</version>
Found 3 occurrence(s) in 2 file(s)

Searching for: <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
buildtools\pom.xml(25): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
buildtools\pom.xml(30): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
das\pom.xml(25): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
pom\parent\pom.xml(32): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
sdo\pom.xml(25): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
sdo\sdo-api\pom.xml(25): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
spec\sdo-api\pom.xml(25): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
Found 7 occurrence(s) in 6 file(s)

I guess, we should be using the SNAPSHOT version in trunk, but I want
to ask before I make these changes.

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer

Re: What should be the right Parent pom version ?

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
ant elder wrote:
> On 7/17/07, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 7/17/07, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Doing a quick search on the code, looks like we have a combination of
>> > parent pom references in our current trunk code.
>> >
>> > Searching for: <version>2-incubating</version>
>> > cts\pom.xml(24): <version>2-incubating</version>
>> > sca\pom.xml(25): <version>2-incubating</version>
>> > sca\pom.xml(160): <version>2-incubating</version>
>> > Found 3 occurrence(s) in 2 file(s)
>> >
>> > Searching for: <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
>> > buildtools\pom.xml(25): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
>> > buildtools\pom.xml(30): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
>> > das\pom.xml(25): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
>> > pom\parent\pom.xml(32): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
>> > sdo\pom.xml(25): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
>> > sdo\sdo-api\pom.xml(25): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
>> > spec\sdo-api\pom.xml(25): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
>> > Found 7 occurrence(s) in 6 file(s)
>> >
>> > I guess, we should be using the SNAPSHOT version in trunk, but I want
>> > to ask before I make these changes.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Luciano Resende
>> > Apache Tuscany Committer
>> > http://people.apache.org/~lresende
>> > http://lresende.blogspot.com/

>> > Hi Luciano
>>
>> Shouldn't we be developing against a released/stable version of the
>> parent
>> pom unless there are changes that are required? I.e if we develop
>> against
>> snapshot , and rely on its features, then we should release the snapshot
>> parent pom before we release packages that depend on it.
>>
>> Simon
>>

>> From past discussion thats been the intention i think - that we'd use
>> the
> released non-SNAPSHOT version, but thats going back to the days when
> there
> was separate releases of all the different modules. Probably a bit
> late for
> this now - but do we really even want/need this parent pom? It seems
> simpler
> and more flexible to me if each sub project just has its own.
>
>   ...ant

+1 for each sub-project to have its own, it seems simpler to me, and the
version can just be the same as the other modules in the sub-project.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: What should be the right Parent pom version ?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 7/23/07, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any more inputs here ?
>
> Maybe we could stage this in two phases, for now just make all project
> consistent and pointing to <version>2-incubating</version> as
> suggested on this thread. And then continue discussions on pros/cons
> of having multiple poms, one for each sub-project.
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> On 7/17/07, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > My main reason for asking the question around version, is that we have
> > learned from past experiences that maven does NOT work OK when you
> > have projects with different versions on the reactor. Today, if you
> > have a clean repo, and try to build from java, build is failing trying
> > to download some artifacts that are indeed in the reactor to be built,
> > and I suspect that the issue is due to different versions on the
> > reactor.
> >
> > I just wanted to be consistent to avoid strange errors, but now that
> > the discussion jumped to a different direction, I have couple
> > questions :
> >
> > What's the user experience with each project having it's own parent
> > pom ? Are we going to still have a top-down build (e.g from java) ? or
> > builds  are going to be top down based on sub-projects (e.g from
> > java/sca) ?
> >
> > Currently, the parent pom stores general standard
> > information/configuration for all sub-projects. If we move away from
> > this, and each sub-project have it's own parent, aren't we going to be
> > more susceptible to have unsynchronized common information, as people
> > will likely update a specific info/config in one of the sub-project
> > parent pom, and forget the others ? Maybe I'm interested to learn more
> > about thoughts on what are the advantages of having multiple poms ?
> >

> > On 7/17/07, Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > +1 for each subproject to have its own.. unless we want to consciously
> > > tie in some commonality through this between the subprojects.
> > >
> > > - Venkat

> combination of

> <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
> <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>

> want

> the parent
> against
> snapshot

> use the
> there
> late for
> simpler

> > --
> > Luciano Resende
> > Apache Tuscany Committer
> > http://people.apache.org/~lresende
> > http://lresende.blogspot.com/
> >

> --
> Luciano Resende
> Apache Tuscany Committer
> http://people.apache.org/~lresende
> http://lresende.blogspot.com/

> Luciano

Sounds sensible to me. As we have a released artifact that meets our needs
being consistent around this is good. At least then, assuming we move to
separate parent poms, we are moving from one consistent state to another.

Simon

Re: What should be the right Parent pom version ?

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Any more inputs here ?

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 7/17/07, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Doing a quick search on the code, looks like we have a combination of
> parent pom references in our current trunk code.
>
> Searching for: <version>2-incubating</version>
> cts\pom.xml(24): <version>2-incubating</version>
> sca\pom.xml(25): <version>2-incubating</version>
> sca\pom.xml(160): <version>2-incubating</version>
> Found 3 occurrence(s) in 2 file(s)
>
> Searching for: <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
> buildtools\pom.xml(25): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
> buildtools\pom.xml(30): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
> das\pom.xml(25): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
> pom\parent\pom.xml(32): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
> sdo\pom.xml(25): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
> sdo\sdo-api\pom.xml(25): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
> spec\sdo-api\pom.xml(25): <version>2-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
> Found 7 occurrence(s) in 6 file(s)
>
> I guess, we should be using the SNAPSHOT version in trunk, but I want
> to ask before I make these changes.
>
> --
> Luciano Resende
> Apache Tuscany Committer
> http://people.apache.org/~lresende
> http://lresende.blogspot.com/

> Hi Luciano

Shouldn't we be developing against a released/stable version of the parent
pom unless there are changes that are required? I.e if we develop against a