Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com> on 2006/06/10 18:14:10 UTC

'public name'

Hi,

We have a person who has contributed code to OFBiz who is reticent about
having their name in public, which is what I assume the 'public name'
field of the iclas.txt file is for.  That's only available to members,
right? Where else does the real name get used?  If the person in
question can't trust the ASF with their real name, then there isn't much
to be done, or am I mistaken?

David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
- http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: 'public name'

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 12 June 2006 17:19, Upayavira wrote:
> I am, I suspect, the person in question. As you might guess, Upayavira
> isn't my legal name, but the one I was given when ordained as a Buddhist.

For the record, this can be one step more complicated than that. I, for
instance, have two legal names depending on jurisdiction. I could choose what
I am *not* known as, to be the only legal name, but have chosen to keep
my 'birth name' where ever possible.

Perhaps one should only use pgp identifiers avoid confusion. ;o)

Cheers
Niclas

Re: 'public name'

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 6/11/06, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>>
>> Their "real" legal name is only used in cases where it is actually
>> legally required. In all other cases, we use their private
>> name. This is even the case for things like the member
>> attendance records of the foundation, etc...
>

> In short, I think that the person should sign the iCLA with their legal
> name
> (so that it can be bound by force of law) and then note on the iCLA that
> all
> references to this person should be under 'X'.  (Only Jim will see this -
> everyone else will see 'X'.)
>
> FWIW, we have at least one ASF member who uses another name than what their
> 'legal' name is.  (N.B. I'm fairly sure that he follows this list - if so,
> he can chime in.)
>
> So, it's not a problem for us - until as Jim pointed out, we have to
> disclose it - which generally means you're an Officer and at that point,
> all
> bets are off as to your privacy...  -- justin

I am, I suspect, the person in question. As you might guess, Upayavira
isn't my legal name, but the one I was given when ordained as a Buddhist.

I signed an iCLA with my legal name, and for-warned Jim that I would
prefer to be known as Upayavira. He was able to store the ICLA with my
legal name, and record the ICLA in iclas.txt using my preferred name.

I don't know if that is precisely what is desired by this particular
individual though.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: 'public name'

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Re: 'public name'

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
As an example, if the person were to become an officer
of the foundation, then we would need to use their
legal name in such things as D&O Insurance filings
and anything that might involve our tax status.

Re: 'public name'

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.