Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/29 14:36:59 UTC

Moving dev guide doco

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about reorganize a little bit the developper quide for ADS,
becuase it is spreading all over the wiki... We have pieces on :
- http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxDEV/Index
-
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx10/ApacheDS+v1.0+Developers%27s+Guide
-
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/ApacheDS+v1.5+Developer%27s+Guide
- http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/Building+trunks
- http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/Interceptors
- http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/Mitosis
- http://docs.safehaus.org/display/APACHEDS/Developer%27s+Guide
- http://docs.safehaus.org/display/APACHEDS/Home/xxxxx

What about moving all those pages to
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxDEV ?

--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny

Re: Moving dev guide doco

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org>.
Ersin Er wrote:

>> Content from the old "ApacheDS v1.0 User's Guide" will be moved to these
>> two. It is still a TODO to tidy up the homepage:
>>
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSRVx10/
>
> The homepage is located here:
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSITE

Aehm, yes Ersin. Sorry, I was not exact. I meant the entry point for the
ApacheDS v1.0 documentation.

Greetings,
     Stefan

Re: Moving dev guide doco

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
On 12/29/06, Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org> wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> >
> > yeah, and this is why I pushed the question on the ML, instead of doing
> > the reorg and waiting for acid remarks ;)
> >
> >     I wonder what Christine and Stephan have to say about this as well.
> >

> > Good point, they certianly have a vision of what should be the correct
> > structure.
> >

> Thanks for thinking I have a vision, Emmanuel ;-)
>
> We planned to have the following in the ApacheDS 1.0 Documentation
>
> * ApacheDS v1.0 Basic User's Guide
> (This is for beginners, currently Christine + I work on it, first
> version nearly completed)
> * ApacheDS v1.0 Advanced User's Guide
> (Audience: advanced users)
>
> Content from the old "ApacheDS v1.0 User's Guide" will be moved to these
> two. It is still a TODO to tidy up the homepage:
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSRVx10/

The homepage is located here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSITE

> We will certainly do this before the new site, which will include the
> ApacheDS 1.0 Documentation, opens.
>
> Things which are not related to a certain version should not be in
> http://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSRVx10/ or http://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSRVx11/

For stuff like Community, Downloads we have the following space:

http://cwiki.apache.org/directory

> This holds true for developer information like mailing lists, coding
> standards etc. From my point of view, they belong to the main site or
> http://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxDEV/

DIRxDEV as used in Geronimo project (GMOxDEV) stores information about
latest development activity in trunks. However we are using DIRxSRVx11
for this purpose. Currently this space is kept empty.

> Other things you have mentioned:
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/Interceptors
> I would move this to ApacheDS v1.0 Advanced User's Guide, and later copy
> the content to ApacheDS v1.5 Advanced User's Guide. Unfortunatly,
> currently there is not much activity in the Advanced User's Guide

Message taken.

--
Ersin

Re: Moving dev guide doco

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the heads up Stefan,

I don't want to desapoint you, but what you will find in Interceptors and
Mitosis, is _far_ from being something intended for users (be them basic,
advanced, or gurus...) It's pretty much a crappy attempt to write down some
high level retro-specification for developpers... May be it can be a good
start for documenters who want to reformat this bad english/not
finished/very limited dev guide to a kind of "Advanced user's Guide" :)

I will follow your advice regarding generic dev info, and migrate some non
specific parts to DIRxDEV.

Emmanuel

--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny

Re: Moving dev guide doco

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org>.

Re: Moving dev guide doco

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 12/29/06, Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> wrote:

> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I'm thinking about reorganize a little bit the developper quide for ADS,
> > becuase it is spreading all over the wiki... We have pieces on :
> > - http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxDEV/Index
> > -
> >
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx10/ApacheDS+v1.0+Developers%27s+Guide
> > <
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx10/ApacheDS+v1.0+Developers%27s+Guide
> >
> > -
> >
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/ApacheDS+v1.5+Developer%27s+Guide
> > - http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/Building+trunks
> > - http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/Interceptors
> > <http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/Interceptors>
> > - http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/Mitosis
> > - http://docs.safehaus.org/display/APACHEDS/Developer%27s+Guide
> > - http://docs.safehaus.org/display/APACHEDS/Home/xxxxx
> >
> > What about moving all those pages to
> > http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxDEV ?
>

> Would it not be best to keep dev specifics for a version in it's own
> space?

Well, basically, a good idea. I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to change
the 1.0 version dev doc, it's dead anyway (any volunteer to retro-document
it ? ;). So 1.5 doco should be put in 1.5 space, and generic dev doco should
be put id DIRxDEV, agreed.

Then we could use the DEV space for general non-version specific
> development issues?

The problem is that we may have very few elements to put in this space. At
some point, I'm just wondering if it was a good idea to create such a space.
wdyt ?

Don't think I disagree.  I don't really know for sure and so I was
> asking some devil's advocate questions.

yeah, and this is why I pushed the question on the ML, instead of doing the
reorg and waiting for acid remarks ;)

I wonder what Christine and Stephan have to say about this as well.

Good point, they certianly have a vision of what should be the correct
structure.

Regards,

--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny

Re: Moving dev guide doco

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm thinking about reorganize a little bit the developper quide for ADS,
> becuase it is spreading all over the wiki... We have pieces on :
> - http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxDEV/Index
> -
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx10/ApacheDS+v1.0+Developers%27s+Guide
> <http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx10/ApacheDS+v1.0+Developers%27s+Guide>
> -
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/ApacheDS+v1.5+Developer%27s+Guide
> - http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/Building+trunks
> - http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/Interceptors
> <http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/Interceptors>
> - http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/Mitosis
> - http://docs.safehaus.org/display/APACHEDS/Developer%27s+Guide
> - http://docs.safehaus.org/display/APACHEDS/Home/xxxxx
>
> What about moving all those pages to
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxDEV ?

Would it not be best to keep dev specifics for a version in it's own
space?  Then we could use the DEV space for general non-version specific
development issues?