Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Martin Lidgard <ma...@arkatay.com> on 2005/03/31 15:16:58 UTC

Using Slide as a simple fileserver

Hi.

Is it possible to use Slide as a simple fileserver, without the fancy
versioning?

In all simplicity I would like to configure Slide with the following
features:
1. WebDAV access via Tomcat 4.1 over https/ssl
2. a file storage without any versioning at all, and without a mirroring to
metadata xml-files
3. possibility to upload files via ftp to the repository directory, making
them automagically accessible via WebDAV

I tried to turn off the versioning in slide.properties
(/usr/local/tomcat4/common/classes/slide.properties) without the desired
results. Created files were altered and given a versioning extension, and a
metadata mirror file was still created.
# Use version control (DeltaV)
# Default: true
org.apache.slide.versioncontrol=false

If it is not possible with Slide, pointers to other projects that would give
the same functionality would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Martin

Arkatay Consulting
www.arkatay.com

Re: Using Slide as a simple fileserver

Posted by Edmund Urbani <em...@liland.org>.
Martin Lidgard wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Is it possible to use Slide as a simple fileserver, without the fancy
> versioning?
>
> In all simplicity I would like to configure Slide with the following
> features:
> 1. WebDAV access via Tomcat 4.1 over https/ssl
> 2. a file storage without any versioning at all, and without a mirroring to
> metadata xml-files
> 3. possibility to upload files via ftp to the repository directory, making
> them automagically accessible via WebDAV
>

> I tried to turn off the versioning in slide.properties
> (/usr/local/tomcat4/common/classes/slide.properties) without the desired
> results. Created files were altered and given a versioning extension, and a
> metadata mirror file was still created.
> # Use version control (DeltaV)
> # Default: true
> org.apache.slide.versioncontrol=false

Actually, you don't even need slide for that.

That should be possible with the webdav servlet that comes with tomcat (should
be included in 4.1.x and 5.0.x, dunno about other versions). I'm not sure whether
this servlet is still being maintained, but it works and does what you want.
if I remember correctly, the repository directory is the webapp's directory
($TOMCAT/webapps/webdav), so setting up an FTP server to give access to that
directory should do the trick (though you'll see the WEB-INF directory, which
the servlet hides from webdav clients).

  Edmund