Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2021/07/01 13:05:32 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Sling SAML2 Service Provider 0.2.4

On Tue, 2021-06-29 at 18:48 -0400, Cris Rockwell wrote:
> Hi Robert
>
> > Why are there version ranges used in the pom?
> I was using Maven bracket notation for version ranges that I had
> actually tested. But I see it’s not needed, and removed the bracket
> range on the versions. Now it builds without downloading any SNAPSHOTS.
>

> > checker-qual-2.11.1.jar
> > error_prone_annotations-2.3.4.jar
> > failureaccess-1.0.1.jar
>
> These are dependencies of Google Guava, which is also an embedded
> dependency. If I didn't embed Guava, the deps above wouldn’t be needed.
> Sling comes with Guava v15. But OpenSAML libraries currently require
> 30.1.1-jre. Having a recent version of Guava installed as a bundle
> could help a lot. But having both versions as bundles doesn’t seem to
> work. I am getting the error below...

As Julian mentioned, embedding Guava is the only safe solution right
now. And thank you for looking into the additional dependencies and
making sure they can be used as OSGi bundles, this will make
deployments simpler.

> Import-Package: com.codahale.metrics; version="[4.1, 5)",
> com.google.common.base; version="[30.1, 31)",
> com.google.common.collect; version="[30.1, 31)",
> com.google.common.escape; version="[30.1, 31)", com.google.common.io;
> version="[30.1, 31)", com.google.common.net; version="[30.1, 31)",
>
> > metrics-core-4.1.9.jar
>
> Upgrading metrics-core past v3 causes a lot of problems with many
> Sling bundles. I counted ~40 bundles that went from Active to
> Installed state. But when installed with parallel versions  (v3 and
> v4) everything seems fine.

Is the metrics bundle something you're consuming or required by a
dependency? Ideally we would be working with whatever is supported by
the current Sling Starter / commons.metrics bundle.

Thanks,
Robert

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Sling SAML2 Service Provider 0.2.4

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
I don't have any other remarks regarding the release.

Thanks,
Robert

Posted by Cris Rockwell <cm...@umich.edu>.
Ok. In that case, I think I can prepare release 0.2.6 for a vote. Unless, there’s something else?

> On Jul 1, 2021, at 11:10 AM, Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Cris,
>
> If parallel versions don't cause any problems I would suggest that we
> keep metrics-core 4 as a bundle, allowing deployers to update to new
> versions if needed.
>
> Thanks,
> Robert
>
> On Thu, 2021-07-01 at 10:27 -0400, Cris Rockwell wrote:
>> Hi Robert
>>
>> OpenSAML has Metrics 4.1.18 as a dependency [1].
>> Sling uses metrics-core 3.2.6 which was released in 2017.
>> Since then, only v4 has active development according to the releases
>> in Central [3].
>>
>> So I think Sling should probably update to the newer version if
>> possible.
>> Until then the SAML bundle could either embed metrics-core v4.1.18+
>> or it could require parallel versions.
>> Which is better in your opinion?
>>
>> Cris
>>
>> [1]
>> https://git.shibboleth.net/view/?p=java-parent-project.git;a=blob;f=pom.xml;h=d87758e21f1cf63222959a9ca7631585128f8573;hb=HEAD
>> [2]
>> https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-starter/blob/96b8df17cd09f7b72ba6794f25d75a524f7e1215/src/main/features/base.json
>> [3]
>> https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/io.dropwizard.metrics/metrics-core
>>

>>> On Jul 1, 2021, at 9:05 AM, Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>
>>> wrote:

>>> As Julian mentioned, embedding Guava is the only safe solution
>>> right
>>> now. And thank you for looking into the additional dependencies and
>>> making sure they can be used as OSGi bundles, this will make
>>> deployments simpler.

>>> Is the metrics bundle something you're consuming or required by a
>>> dependency? Ideally we would be working with whatever is supported
>>> by
>>> the current Sling Starter / commons.metrics bundle.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Robert

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Sling SAML2 Service Provider 0.2.4

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Cris,

Posted by Cris Rockwell <cm...@umich.edu>.
Hi Robert