Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Vadim Kimlaychuk <Va...@Elion.ee> on 2014/12/01 08:48:10 UTC

RE: root resize support in the UI

It is interesting how, in genereal, this works for XenServer (for exmaple)?  I do understand, that entire logic of CS is built around hypervisor capabilities. It does not do more than each specific hypervisor can offer. KVM do have "virt-resize" tool that can resize Linux partitions, but it will probably not work for Windows hosts anyway.  So, to be honest, this UI feature should only be visible for Linux guests.

I don't know whether different approach to build and resize root partitions for all hypervisors exist?  If it is not possible to do on hypervisor level, how does CS do this?

Vadim.

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Exactly my point - reside the damn drive with qemu-img and leave the rest
for the Admin :)

--

Andrija Panić

Re: root resize support in the UI

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Guys,

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Matheww, offtopic - keep in mind that hostbill will make milion of computer
offerings and everything, so if you login to cloudstack - you will get lost
- at least per my latest experience with hostbill. Also we were told that
they store credit cards in their database - something you might not want.

--

Andrija Panić

Re: root resize support in the UI

Posted by Logan Barfield <lb...@tqhosting.com>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Andrija,

Posted by Todd Pigram <to...@toddpigram.com>.
I would like to see this for XenServer implemented. I get around this by
having all my bare bone templates at 100GB...it would be nice not have to
change in the DB, then catch it in from the console to expand before CS
shuts it down.

--

Todd Pigram
http://about.me/ToddPigram

Re: root resize support in the UI

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.

--

Andrija Panić

Re: root resize support in the UI

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Vadim,

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Vadim Kimlaychuk <Vadim.Kimlaychuk@elion.ee
> wrote:

> Andrija,
>
>             You did understand me correctly. I wish that for the customer
> disk offer could be customizable. And not just for KVM hypervisor.
> Particularly now I am interested in Xen and VmWare.
> CS admin should not have set of templates that differs only on root
> partition size.  Swap partition can be (theoretically) located as another
> DATA disk and be re-sizable with existing functionality.
>             How hard is to achieve such a requirement? Are these
> requirements something unusual and I should do it other way? For example we
> say to the customer, that you have unallocated space if you select
> different size and extend partition by yourself?

It's not hard at all. You just need to find a developer that can spare the
time to implement it in CloudStack.

--
Erik

RE: root resize support in the UI

Posted by Vadim Kimlaychuk <Va...@Elion.ee>.
Andrija,

            You did understand me correctly. I wish that for the customer disk offer could be customizable. And not just for KVM hypervisor.  Particularly now I am interested in Xen and VmWare.
CS admin should not have set of templates that differs only on root partition size.  Swap partition can be (theoretically) located as another DATA disk and be re-sizable with existing functionality.
            How hard is to achieve such a requirement? Are these requirements something unusual and I should do it other way? For example we say to the customer, that you have unallocated space if you select different size and extend partition by yourself?

Vadim.

--

Andrija Panić

Re: root resize support in the UI

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.

--

Andrija Panić

RE: root resize support in the UI

Posted by Vadim Kimlaychuk <Va...@Elion.ee>.

--

Andrija Panić

Re: root resize support in the UI

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.

--

Andrija Panić

Re: root resize support in the UI

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vadim Kimlaychuk <Va...@Elion.ee>.

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think it would be usefull to have that resize feature for all guests
> (Linux, Windows, etc) - but perhaps customizes the Resize function to
> perform partition resize inside Linux (if we are deploying new VM from
> Linux template) - or simply do not do anything inside guest OS, just resize
> the drive - and let the client handle partition and file system resize...it
> might be more clean implementation I guess...?

I believe cloud-init is capable of this?

--
Erik

Re: root resize support in the UI

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.