Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Francisco García Leal <fg...@corpme.es> on 2003/11/12 13:33:10 UTC

Problems using Tiff with FOP

Hello..

    I am using FOP 0.20.5. I have to create a PDF file with tiff
graphics but I get java.lang.OutOfMemory Error. I have to include about
100 tiffs (one tiff in each page) in each pdf. I also get another error
using JAI (unsupported photometric interpretation value 1) and I don´t
know what is the meaning?

[INFO] [26]
[INFO] Reverting to TIFF image handling through JAI: Error while loading
image f
ile:/data/ 7827-31015-107998.tif : class org.apache.fop.image.Ti
ffImage - unsupported photometric interpretation value 1
12/11 12:54:33 error
[1]java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

    I have been reading FOP´s ideas to resolve this in the FOP page:

-   I can´t increase too many the memory available to the JVM.

-  I am not using forward references.

- I have tried to call org.apache.fop.image.FopImageFactory.resetCache()
to empty the  <http://xml.apache.org/fop/graphics.html#caching> image
cache in the fop source in each call to write tiff file
(org.apache.fop.image.TiffImage) but I haven´t done any improvent.

            - I am using multiple page sequences.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank in advance.

Re: Problems using Tiff with FOP

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Francisco García Leal wrote:
> graphics but I get java.lang.OutOfMemory Error. I have to include about
> 100 tiffs (one tiff in each page) in each pdf.
How large are the TIFF files? They will all be kept in memory
and will lock at least as much as they take in disk.

> - I have tried to call org.apache.fop.image.FopImageFactory.resetCache()
This helps only if the cache is filled slowly by repeated FOP
runs in a server environment.

>             - I am using multiple page sequences.
Won't help you here all that much.

If increasing the JVM memory is not an option, try to reduce
the size of the images images. Reduce resolution, or a lossy
compression like JPEG, or both.

J.Pietschmann

RE: Problems using Tiff with FOP

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

<snip />

If I'm not mistaken, problem could lie with a JAI byte array somehow not
being garbage collected, although we never got to read whether (and if so,
how) this one was ultimately solved...

> I have to include about 100 tiffs (one tiff in each page) in each pdf. I
also get another
> error using JAI (unsupported photometric interpretation value 1) and I
don´t know what is
> the meaning?

My guess would be that the image in question contains unsupported colorspace
info.

( JAI/FOP/TIFF = only RGB or RGBA; see
http://xml.apache.org/fop/graphics.html#tiff )

> - I have tried to call org.apache.fop.image.FopImageFactory.resetCache()
to empty the
> image cache in the fop source in each call to write tiff file
> (org.apache.fop.image.TiffImage) but I haven´t done any improvent.

Seems to confirm the above suspicion....

> Any help would be appreciated.

Well, sorry I couldn't be of real 'help' here, but unless someone finds the
time to investigate and document this further... :-s

Greetz,

Andreas