Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com> on 2017/05/01 12:18:11 UTC

Re: NetBeans Apache Site Static Site Generator and Plan; Discussion

Do we need a static site generator at all? When I look at the NetBeans
tutorials, i.e., at the source documents of the NetBeans tutorials, they
all have their headers and footers etc hardcoded into the document itself.

I prefer simplicity over pretty much everything else -- and this discussion
is taking very long without much movement. All I believe we need is a clear
source structure and then the tutorials can simply be copied over.

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Awesome. Write it up, looking forward to trying it all out. Moving the
tutorials and any relevant content over is a trivial matter, as I've
discovered today -- though these other matters you describe need to be
resolved first, the sooner the better.

Gj

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.

I suggest we work on the document here https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/New+NetBeans+Web+Site+Planning <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/New+NetBeans+Web+Site+Planning>

Re: Re: NetBeans Apache Site Static Site Generator and Plan; Discussion

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Aw: Re: NetBeans Apache Site Static Site Generator and Plan; Discussion

Posted by Christian Lenz <Ch...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 2:37 PM Bernd Ruehlicke <
bernd.ruehlicke@eriksfiord.com> wrote:

> Just my 5 cents:  We cannot afford to split the community. All
> users/developers should be using netbeans.apache.org as primary point of
> entry. As now, there should be an area for IDE and one for the Platform.
> Having both will allow users to possible explore new things they else
> never would see.

In my view I'd say the opposite.  Losing the netbeans.org domain for the
primary user facing links would be a mistake in my opinion, given the huge
number of inbound links out there (yes, I know we can redirect, but it
doesn't mean we should).  Having a site focused purely on development of
the IDE and platform at netbeans.apache.org as required doesn't mean we'd
split the community.  Lots of organisations use multiple sub-domains /
domains for different purposes - the key is to integrate the layout/design
so that people can easily find what they're looking for, with header links
back-and-forth, etc.  OpenOffice roughly has this approach by the look of
it.

My 5 cents.  I'm old enough to remember when it was 2 cents.  Inflation's a
killer! ;-)

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: NetBeans Apache Site Static Site Generator and Plan; Discussion

Posted by Bernd Ruehlicke <be...@eriksfiord.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
http://netbeans.apache.org/kb/docs/java/quickstart.html

As a small temporary proof of concept experiment, I have copied the
NetBeans Quick Start tutorial in the above location.

Here's the original location on netbeans.org:

https://netbeans.org/kb/docs/java/quickstart.html

Now I understand better what I think we mean about the static site
generator etc, i.e., there's navigation and headers and footers and so on
that are currently missing in the netbeans.apache.org version of the
tutorial compared to the original.

The question is also whether netbeans.apache.org is going to be the same as
netbeans.org. I.e., will netbeans.apache.org be for Apache NetBeans
developers only or also for Apache NetBeans users, will it contain only
technical documents for developing NetBeans itself or will it also host
tutorials for NetBeans end users?

The same structure as at netbeans.org can be rebuilt at netbeans.apache.org,
that's something I can do after the documentation has officially been
donated as part of the 1st code donation.

Thoughts welcome.

Gj

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Geertjan Wielenga <

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
OK, maybe it got stripped out.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

netbeans.org, doesn't that means that the tutorials will be at netbeans.org