Posted to common-commits@hadoop.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2010/06/21 07:59:58 UTC

[Hadoop Wiki] Update of "Hive/GettingStarted" by JoydeepSensarma

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Hadoop Wiki" for change notification.

The "Hive/GettingStarted" page has been changed by JoydeepSensarma.
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/GettingStarted?action=diff&rev1=30&rev2=31

  Table of Contents
  <<TableOfContents(4)>>

+ DISCLAIMER: Hive has only been tested on unix(linux) and mac systems using Java 1.6 for now -
+ although it may very well work on other similar platforms. It does not work on Cygwin right now.
+ Most of our testing has been on Hadoop 0.17.2 and 0.20 - so we would advise running it against either
+ of these versions of hadoop - even though it may compile/work against other versions
- DISCLAIMER: This is a prototype version of Hive and is NOT production quality.  However,
- we are working hard to make Hive a production quality system. Hive has only been tested
- on unix(linux) and mac systems using Java 1.6 for now - although it may very well work
- on other similar platforms. It does not work on Cygwin right now. Most of our testing has
- been on Hadoop 0.17.2 - so we would advise running it against this version of hadoop - even
- though it may compile/work against other versions

  == Hive introduction videos From Cloudera ==

@@ -86, +84 @@

  === Error Logs ===
  Hive uses log4j for logging. By default logs are not emitted to the
- console by the cli. They are stored in the file:
+ console by the CLI. The default logging level is WARN and the logs are stored in the folder:
- - /tmp/{user.name}/hive.log
+  * /tmp/{user.name}/hive.log

  If the user wishes - the logs can be emitted to the console by adding
  the arguments shown below:
- - bin/hive -hiveconf hive.root.logger=INFO,console
+  * bin/hive -hiveconf hive.root.logger=INFO,console
+
+ Alternatively, the user can change the logging level only by using:
+  * bin/hive -hiveconf hive.root.logger=INFO,DRFA

  Note that setting hive.root.logger via the 'set' command does not
  change logging properties since they are determined at initialization time.

+ Logging during Hive execution on a Hadoop cluster is controlled by Hadoop configuration. Usually Hadoop will produce  one log file per map and reduce task stored on the cluster machine(s) where the task was executed. The log files can be obtained by clicking through to the Task Details page from the Hadoop JobTracker Web UI.
- Error logs are very useful to debug problems. Please send them with
- any bugs (of which there are many!) to hive-dev@hadoop.apache.org.

+ When using local mode (using mapred.job.tracker=local), Hadoop/Hive execution logs are produced on the client machine itself. Starting v-0.6 - Hive uses the hive-exec-log4j.properties (falling back to hive-log4j.properties only if it's missing) to determine where these logs are delivered by default. The default configuration file produces one log file per query executed in local mode and stores it under /tmp/{user.name}. The intent of providing a separate configuration file is to enable administrators to centralize execution log capture if desired (on a NFS file server for example). Execution logs are invaluable for debugging run-time errors.
+
+ Error logs are very useful to debug problems. Please send them with any bugs (of which there are many!) to hive-dev@hadoop.apache.org.

  == DDL Operations ==