Posted to dev@flume.apache.org by Eric Sammer <es...@cloudera.com> on 2011/07/19 02:49:48 UTC

Flume dist assembly duplication?

All:

I hadn't looked at it in great depth but there are now two
flume{-bin}.xml files in the flume-distribution module resulting in an
insanely long package time. Is this really necessary? I can't imagine
it is. My guess is that it's a stop gap for something or an accident.

--
Eric Sammer
twitter: esammer

Re: Flume dist assembly duplication?

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
You might consider releasing a single source artifact (this is what
the PMC votes on), and any number of additional "binary convenience"
artifacts. Avro does this pretty effectively:
http://mirror.atlanticmetro.net/apache//avro/avro-1.5.1/

Granted in Flume's case you only have the source and java jars. In
ZooKeeper we have a single release artifact (source and jars together)
and have gotten some negative feedback on this, consumers often
preferring to have them separate. (debian packagers for example does
not want the jars included in the source artifact)

Patrick

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.