Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Nigel Magnay <ni...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/25 14:47:47 UTC

LATEST, SNAPSHOT and RELEASE

I could have sworn I'd read somewhere that it was possible to use dependency
versions of LATEST, RELEASE and SNAPSHOT in a pom dependency to not have to
specify which particular version I needed.

Did I just dream that? Or does it not apply to dependencies?

Re: LATEST, SNAPSHOT and RELEASE

Posted by Nigel Magnay <ni...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, that's what I thought.

What we've got is a number of projects that are being built with m2, and
dependencies between them. If the dependency is to 'in-development' code,
then it is usually pulled into an overall 'workspace' project with SVN
externals, and a property in the project is set to be (e.g.)
<sharedstuff-version>1.1-SNAPSHOT</sharedstuff-version>. The reactor then
works out the deps correctly, eclipse dependencies work, etc., etc.

Now occasionally a project will want to decouple itself from changes to the
shared project, so it cuts a release, changes their pom property, and often
removes the svn:externals link in their workspace, as they're now on a
'stable' build.

However, this of course breaks everyone else - they're still relying on the
'HEAD' being 1.1-SNAPSHOT, and now it's 1.2-SNAPSHOT. I had hoped they could
do something like <sharedstuff-version>LATEST</sharedstuff-version> to get
around that.

The only alternative I can think of is to have a <sharedstuff-latest>...</>
in our top-level company pom, and always release that in tandem with any
module release (and so use
<sharedstuff-version>${sharedstuff-latest}</sharedstuff-version>)...

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.