Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Steppan, Bernhard" <be...@navteq.com> on 2010/03/04 14:41:51 UTC

4-Digit (plus qualifier) Versioning Scheme

-When comparing a 4-digit version number with a 3-digit version number, the 3-digit number is always newer, e.g.: 0.1.0 > 6.0.1.1
-When comparing 4-digit version numbers, Maven does a string comparison (as the versions are treated as qualifiers): the  4th "digit" is not compared correctly<http://www.mail-archive.com/users@maven.apache.org/msg87751.html>, e.g. 6.1.0.3 > 6.1.0.15
=> Version ranges do not work correctly :(
=> Any plug-ins that are sorting versions do not work correctly (we are not sure which plug-ins are affected, if any) :(
=> However, using RELEASE version (will use the latest released version) seems to work correctly :) (maybe this one uses a different interpretation of "latest"?)

Is the support of the four-digit + qualifier scheme planned to be realized?

-Bernhard

Re: 4-Digit (plus qualifier) Versioning Scheme

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Take a look at versions-maven-plugin....
http://mojo.codehaus.org/versions-maven-plugin/version-rules.html

Might help you out (our product management requires 5 digit version numbers)
;-)

-Stephen