Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/11/19 05:19:55 UTC

Where does forrest responsibility stop?

Hi,

I would like to know where everyone believes forrests responsibility ends. For
example, in most projects I work on we have several bits of documentation
generated.

* website (in scope)
* manual (in scope)

* announcements (50/50?)
 ie basically blocks of text ready to be cut-n-pasted
 into email announcements or the various freshmeat
 style directories.

* headers/footers for download directory (50/50?)
 ie basically snippets of html that are put at top
 or bottom of page in download directorys. See for example
 http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon/release/framework/v4.1.3/

* code doc presentation (out of scope?)
 ie javadoc sytle stuff gets spit out as xml and then forrest styles em

* report presentation (out of scope?)
 ie reports get prepared by some process and then forrest styles em

I guess my question is how do we go about using one of these other systems.

* Do we integrate with ant/maven/centipede and then re-run forrest everytime
one of those other docs need to be generated? (ie push)
* Do we get Cocoon to "suck" the data through ? (ie pull)
* Do we get some sort of incremental build?

something else?

BTW if you decide that headers/footers or announcements are in scope then I
have some xsl sheets to convert across ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
| "Common sense is the collection of prejudices        |
|  acquired by age 18. " -Albert Einstein              |

Re: Where does forrest responsibility stop?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know where everyone believes forrests responsibility ends. For
> example, in most projects I work on we have several bits of documentation
> generated.
>
> * website (in scope)
> * manual (in scope)
>
> * announcements (50/50?)
>  ie basically blocks of text ready to be cut-n-pasted
>  into email announcements or the various freshmeat
>  style directories.
>
> * headers/footers for download directory (50/50?)
>  ie basically snippets of html that are put at top
>  or bottom of page in download directorys. See for example
>  http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon/release/framework/v4.1.3/
>
> * code doc presentation (out of scope?)
>  ie javadoc sytle stuff gets spit out as xml and then forrest styles em
>
> * report presentation (out of scope?)
>  ie reports get prepared by some process and then forrest styles em

I reckon that all of these things are *in scope*. 100%

> I guess my question is how do we go about using one of these other systems.
>
> * Do we integrate with ant/maven/centipede and then re-run forrest everytime
> one of those other docs need to be generated? (ie push)
> * Do we get Cocoon to "suck" the data through ? (ie pull)
> * Do we get some sort of incremental build?
>
> something else?

Perhaps Forrest should have many means of obtaining input.
How would we specify what Forrest needs to do? There are some
old threads in forrest-dev about "siteplan.xml" config file.
Perhaps that is the way.

"Incremental build" sounds interesting. Do you mean to address
the fact that there is no need to re-build an entire website
just because one bit of content has changed in one xdoc?

> BTW if you decide that headers/footers or announcements are in scope then I
> have some xsl sheets to convert across ;)

Great. Header/footer is something that we need now for
the new xml-commons website which is in draft stage using
Forrest.

However, Forrest needs to define a way to deal consistently
with all of these new capabilities and other dreams.

--David